View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Thanks for coming back. Just a few things...

Originally Posted by Freeditorial View Post
Hello Infinity_Man
We advertise our writers’ names and books directly to targeted audiences, mostly depending on the book genre.
Great, but this still doesn't tell me how you advertise the books, which is what I've been asking.

Keep in mind that our profit is directly proportional to our writer’s success. Therefore, it is in our every interest to promote their book.
Sure, but what kind of promotion could I expect as a new writer?

We cannot say the same when a relatively unknown writer is trying to sell, it becomes that much more difficult to convince a reader to give their book a try. So, we give the contracted writer a middle ground solution; the benefits of giving their book for free as mentioned above, plus a payment from Freeditorial before the book is even published.
Yes, this is an advance. I would expect an advance from most established publishers (albeit a smaller one for small publishers, or none at all for start-ups).

It costs most traditional publishers a considerable amount of money to get a book out, between print, distribution and other logistics. This is why they only invest in famous, well established authors.
This is simply not true. "Traditional" publishers publish debuts all the time. They're the ones with the money--earned from the famous, well established authors--to actually publish debuts. Let's go through the Big 5 and list some examples, shall we?
Hachette published Edan Lepucki's "California" and Stephan Eirik Clark's "Sweetness #9" this past summer; HarperCollins recently debuted Diane Cook's "Man V. Nature" (A short story collection, no less) and recently signed a three-book contract for Eliza Henry-Jones' "In The Quiet.; MacMillan this year published Nickolas Butler's first novel "Shotgun Lovesongs" and Sandy Hall's debut "A Little Something Different"; Tom Weldon, UK chief executive of Penguin Random House, claims they publish 200 to 250 debut authors a year, including (deep breath) Carys Bray's "A Song For Issy Bradley: A Novel", Peter Buwalda's "Bonita Avenue: A Novel", Michael Christie's "If I Fall, If I Die", Tom Cooper's "The Marauders: A Novel", Yannick Grannac's "The Goddess of Small Victories," etc. etc.; Simon and Schuster will be publishing "Etta and Otto and Russell and James" by Emma Hooper and Jamie Kornegay's "Soil." These are just a few examples.
I'd be careful. The "Big Publishers Don't Publish New Authors" argument is typical of vanity publishers and scams--I'd avoid this kind of language in case you are seen as one.

On the other hand, we kept such costs to a minimum, which is why we can afford to promote and buy from more new writers and take risks where we see potential.
But how do you keep costs to a minimum? And how will you promote?

It's nice to hear that your format is wide-spread.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.