View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 07:10 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering. It appears you operate on a standard submission process, and are not a platform for self-publishing, so what can you offer an author's book that other venues can't? In the submission page (or, at least, the first page) it states:

Every writer can advertise his book published by Freeditorial as he sees fit. The Publishing House will highlight the book in its section of “recommended books” for a time to help introduce it to the general public.
This sounds, to me, as though highlighting the book in the "recommended" section is the only advertising Freeditorial will perform, leaving the bulk of that work to the author. Considering you are also demanding all digital worldwide rights for an indefinite amount of time, this seems like less control than certain self-publishing venues offer, but without the advantage of a publishing company's resources. If I am mistaken, please clarify.

Is there some way I can see the bios of some of the people responsible for my book, should I submit? Who's behind acquisitions? Copyediting? Technical editing? What experience do they have? I understand that maybe there are too many people to list them all, but why not highlight a few of the heads, so that I can be sure the person responsible for editing my book isn't also splitting their time between translating public domain novels for your library?

When I selected one of the recommended books to see more about it, a download of the ebook began immediately. I tested this on a second book, thinking maybe this was just one free book in the midst of ones that were for sale. However, the second book also began downloading instantly. For one thing, I would recommend making it more clear when a download was going to happen, as I for one am always distrustful of files that just begin downloading on their own. However, this also makes me concerned about where your revenues are coming from if ebooks don't cost any money. Unless I selected public domain novels (and I doubt it, as the title of one included the acronym "OMG") it seems as though your revenue comes completely from the ad space you sell through our books (as according to the "Terms and Conditions" which, by the way, are not aligned with the rest of the subheaders at the bottom of the page). This leads me to believe that advances, or whatever you want to call the payments you give to the authors, will be rather low, exacerbated by the fact an author receives no money from their book sales after the fact. And what is this ad space selling? Is it advertisement for other novels Freeditorial has published, or is it open ad space for anyone who wants to buy it? Again, I'm left wondering why I should choose Freeditorial over another of the many options that leave me more control. Feel free to pitch yourself.

I'd also be concerned with the idea that my novel would get lost in the forest that is the hundreds/thousands of public domain novels you've uploaded so far. There are also user interface issues I have, such as the only way I can search for a novel (outside of not knowing the author or title--say I'm just browsing) is by entering my preferred language and a "literary genre" as vague as "Novel". Do you have any plans to address these issues?

Freeditorial has also posted this exact same thread on another writing forum I frequent, and people over there are far more dubious. Until Freeditorial answers some of these questions (and, to be honest, I'd be surprised if they came back as this seems like mass spam advertising), I recommend anyone who comes across this thread to pass.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Last edited by Infinity_Man; 11-15-2014 at 04:01 AM.