Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 PM View Post #1 (Link) What would you do if all your life's work was deleted?
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Just imagine. Every little thing you wrote - gone in a second.

What would you do? Let it be? Or write it all over again?

I think about it a lot and I think it's an important question to face because it can make you realize how persistent you want to be.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:53 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
Just imagine. Every little thing you wrote - gone in a second.

What would you do? Let it be? Or write it all over again?

I think about it a lot and I think it's an important question to face because it can make you realize how persistent you want to be.
By no means write it all over again, as far as I'm concerned. It would be too boring and exhausting. Besides, if this shit happened once, we have no guarantee it will never happen again, ergo, there's no point to put our lives at the stake of the vague and volatile luck.
But, MacGee, this situation is impossible,absolutely, unless the whole World is going to burn in Hell. But in this case, I think, we are not going to worry about our writings, right?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 AM View Post #3 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
I'd write it again but this time I'd add in all of the concepts that I hadn't fully realized the first time. It could actually be a great opportunity, but it will be draining. I wouldn't be able to think of it completely as just restarting -- more like a reboot of the material instead of a clean copy.

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Re-write some of it, probably let most of it die.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:27 AM View Post #5 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I'd probably rewrite the ones that I feel are the best among the rest and neglect the rest afterwards.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Cry. A lot. And then some more.

I'm going to assume this includes everything you've sent to friends/critiquers and any printed work. My current novel, I'd probably not rewrite. Maybe I'd keep the idea and one day make it into a graphic novel or something other than a novel. My other stuff is still mostly unformed/unstructured enough to have another bash at and it not be too traumatising over the things lost.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:00 AM View Post #7 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I totally forgot I asked this but looking at it now, I realized I should have been clearer.

I was actually thinking about your work in progress. For example, I have so many unfinished stories on my hard drive. I want to publish them of course. But I often wondered about my determination - like what if my hard drives and my cloud were all gone and I had to start from scratch?
Old 02-12-2017, 04:04 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Having unleashed your imagination your might as well ask: what if all my unfinished stories vanished into thin air and before long all of them, finished and accomplished, appeared in book stores......but under totally unbeknownst for me name?
So, my advice to you(if you don't mind me advising) would be to take a grip on yourself and finish all your stories and post them somewhere and let your hard drive and your worries have a rest.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 02-12-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Reason: improving