Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM View Post #1 (Link) What do Writer Needs To Stay In Competition???
willsonjohn90 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
Hey Everyone!!! Lets discuss our point of view on this topic and analyse the important and most discussed ones...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I'll ask what I think is the most pertinent question: What competition?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 AM View Post #3 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Shouldn't this be in the Literary Discussion section first of all? Guides and Quick Tips is a section for a guide of writing/critiquing/YWO in some shape or form that you share with us. Sure, you can have other members help you, but that help isn't in this section. That's more suited to private messages, visitor messages, Literary Discussion, or maybe even the common room if it's for YWO.

Anyway, I agree with Dabs on the question of what competition are we talking about? Publishing? Bargains? Attention?

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:41 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Woops! Moved to the appropriate thread.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:24 AM View Post #5 (Link)
willsonjohn90 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
Competition means overall to be in the business it includes publishing, reader's attention. Overall what a writer needs to stay in competition.....
Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I'll get the obvious one out of the way first: Writers need to write the best damned story they can.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

"Competition" is an interesting way of putting it  Perhaps it's more blunt than I'm used to.

There are no real tricks or techniques to it, I'd say. Write the story you want to write. Obey the trends and the market at your own peril. Don't write a dystopian YA novel unless you feel truly compelled to, you know? A good story stands stronger than a good trend.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 AM View Post #8 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
To be frank, I agree with Infinity_Man and Dabs. It'd help if you gave some more details for us.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.