Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-04-2015, 07:05 PM View Post #11 (Link)
pendell (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3

... Okay... I guess I'll call myself non-religious... Semantics hurt my brain... I'm definitely going to have to read that a few more times to get all of it...
Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Minha (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Accrding to me neithr christanity nor any othr relign should be forced over any individual ..... Religion means to believe in ... To believe everything related to it and when someone is being forced that prsn nvr understands anythin about it ..... By thinking that jesus will cum in your life and u will prosper .. Howe come .... These are just wrds .... First of all let me clear .. Jesus is not God he is juz messenger of Allah .... Christians believe that jesus is God ,, they are wrong ...., jesus nver said i am God .. He always said i am doin wht God has said me to do ..... He performed some miracles but that was just to test faith of people ,.....
Old 11-15-2015, 10:20 PM View Post #13 (Link)
IdontFailUnlessIquit (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I think religion should be exposed to everyone, and Everyone should have the right to choose their religion or no religion. But as I have learned in school or in my personal experience. Wars have been started over religion or beliefs. Religion isn't bad, only bad when you have extremists. The best I have ever met have been atheists.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Kanen (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 36
Wow what a topic. Forgive me for not bothering to read every response - it's late and I've been writing philosophy essays all day.

Anyways, on this topic. First off, you've posed a "should" question, and in my experience, the answer to those are invariably no. But I think I would like to some considerations to mind, if for anything else then just playing devil's advocate.

My brother is a Baptist pastor. I am a (very-lax, so bad on me) Zen Buddhist. He'll call me up and half the time we'll end up talking about some kind of theological or philosophical debate, and I absolutely savor these interactions with him. Mostly because I know it makes him feel good - you see, what I really want to get across is when a Christian, or frankly any person of any religion, attempts to share their religion with you, it's not (at least in my experience, I realize there are outliers ) that they are doing it because that religion has had a beneficial impact on their life. It has given them something that they want to share with you, that they want you to be a part of with them. That level of empathy and compassion comes from a very deep place. This is why I spoke to the Mormons that came to my door for an hour, and the Hindu monk on the street for thirty minutes. Something in these religions gives their lives meaning, and perhaps that means it has something to offer me.

I guess my point is listen to religion with an open mind. But, at the same time, keep your reason and wits about you - don't believe in anything blindly. But it's pointless and frankly sad to get mad at people for wanting to share something that brings them joy with you. Even, I think, if it is tinged with the 'go to hell if you don't' part. Because really, who actually believes Ghandi is in Hell?

- 宮崎 駿/Hayao Miyazaki
Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 AM View Post #15 (Link)
The Enchanted Muggle (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 20
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Plus, there are religious evolutionary biologists.
Isis, I love you for bringing this point up, because sometimes I feel like people are put into boxes, for lack of a better phrase, when it comes to religion vs. evolution/science. You either believe in evolution or in the Creation story.

I've recently been thinking about this because...my mind is weird and wonderfully random, and I started thinking about my high school biology classes. One teacher in particular-- my 10th grade Biology teacher whom I loved having greatly -- came to one of the weekly meetings held by the high school's Christian fellowship group, of which I was a part of. He said, and I paraphrase, "I'm a biology teacher. I LOVE science, but I am also a Christian and I love God and Jesus as well." Then he explained how he believed that God's hand was what drove the evolutionary cycle forward-- thus, being able to believe in both God and evolution with no problem, and I don't agree with people who say you can't believe in both science and religion. I believe that you can. I do.

I also dislike how, as mentioned earlier, Christians are often stereotyped as being a certain way. My friend got the question "If you're a Christian, why do you drink? Doesn't your God forbid drinking?" more times that she would care to count, and I personally got "oh, you're one of those people." It's frustrating because we all aren't one way all the time. Not everyone is one thing just because we belong to a certain label or group or what have you. This inclues the stereotype of Christians as "pushy" when it comes to their religion and non-believers.

While there are some people who try to push their beliefs and opinions unto you-- I've met quite a few, including my own parents-- not all Christians are like that. I personally would never try to push any of my friends into believing what I believe; that would be like forcing them into something they don't want to do, and Christians aren't meant to be forceful-- Christianity, to me anyway, is not a religion that forces people into believing it. There are extremists, like a lot of few pointed out, but it's important to remember that just because one part of a group is this way, it applies to the rest. It's not dye. It doesn't dilute to the others.

So no, I don't think religion should be forced upon people. I find that people who willingly learns about religion, rather than those who are pushed into it, tend to be the best followers of it, and their hearts are more into it. Any kind of religion, not just Christianity.

As an example from my own life, I was really thrilled about God, Church, Bible study, and nourishing my relationship with God in high school and the first part of college, but something made me falter and part of it was that one of the leaders would keep asking me to attend the meetings and asking me questions like "why don't you...?" and just using a tone I did not appreciate. So I stopped going after my 3rd year of college.

Now, I've become content to just listen to Christian music every now and then and pray on my own. It's an ideal, but II feel as though people around me are trying so hard to get me to go to Church (aka my parents) every week, and I think that's a bad move.

People should want to do things, not do them because they feel like they have to.

Originally Posted by sbenzing
Wow. So youre a Korean girl who grew up in Hong Kong, lives in the United States now and is studying Spanish in college? You know that's crazy right?
Jisun: I feel like I'm writing some Twilight shit.
Kanen: Ji, I feel like that all the time.
Kanen: The difference is,
Kanen: this is only your first draft.
Kanen: for her, it was her last.
PUBLISHED BOOK FOR KINDLE
Old 01-18-2017, 05:07 AM View Post #16 (Link)
MElizabeth820 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

The truth of the matter is that no one can force anyone to be a Christian. Clearly history is evidence that certain groups were "forced" or "bullied" into conforming to certain rules or customs. However, being a Christian means being in love with Jesus so much that He becomes the most important and most satisfying thing in your life. You can't force someone to feel that way about Jesus. Any genuine change in a person's life has to be done between Jesus and that person.

Another thing to understand is that honest Christians are concerned for people they love/are in touch with. People who truly love Jesus are not focused on making today/tomorrow/next week/next year better. It's about looking forward to living with Jesus after they die. Genuine Christians want the people around them to share the joy they have found. They are also afraid that the people they love will spend eternity in misery. You think this life has trouble? Imagine feeling only loneliness, despair, depression, rejection, and every horrible thing in this life forever and ever and never experiencing anything good ever again. Hell is not a hooved devil with a pitchfork. It is about being cutoff from every good thing forever. I think people who suffer from depression get a glimpse of what this might feel like. Genuine Christians honestly want to save their loved ones from ending up like this.

The Bible does say, however, that Christians are to preach the gospel. That is the heart of using commercials, social media, door-to-door, and conversation to tell people about Jesus. The thing is that even if I bully someone into praying with me, just so they can get rid of me, that doesn't really change their heart. That is ultimately between them and God. So my job is to tell people about Jesus, but I need to remember that I am just giving information and leaving the "pressure" to God.

Unfortunately, so many Christians haven't figured out how to get the message across. The Bible does not teach to hit people over the head with the Bible. Some Christians get so passionate about their relationship with Jesus that they forget that other people have to love Jesus FIRST before they will care about living in a way that Jesus wants. Also, some people who say they are Christians don't have that relationship with Jesus figured out. They get too caught up in making people follow the rules that they forget that Christianity is really about being friends with Jesus.

So, in your case, I'm sorry you are annoyed by religious messages. Maybe the people you are talking to are too pushy. Maybe you have hard feelings toward God and can't stand to hear it, even when it is delivered in the best way. You mentioned a group at school so I wonder if the people you are talking to are very young (teenagers, young adults). I was an over zealous teenager and I was definitely a Bible thumper in high school. It has taken me many years and a lot of real life to understand what Jesus is really about. There is no ideal life. Loving Jesus is about getting through life in the best way, it is not a magical and mystical formula for a perfect life.

I hope you can understand that people who are genuinely trying to tell you about Jesus have good intentions. They really want you to have every good thing that is available to you. Ultimately they want your eternity to be safe and happy.

And also remember that those people who are pushy or even downright mean are wrong. God is not unkind and He doesn't want you to feel put off by His Word. Knowing who God really is is the heart of Christianity, and not every "Christian" is good at showing you who that really is.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Steve Collins (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I don't believe any religion to be forced on someone. There is only one god and religion of it does not matter for real. It's us who made these kind of division of religion which has to be stopped by people.