Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Well, yes, it's supposed to go up and down. But it's not supposed to go down this much. We saw a normal recession when Bush first came into office and people were getting all upset then too, even though that's perfectly normal. We can't expect the economy to be at the top all the top. It doesn't work that way.
Think of it in terms of a stock (a good stock, not a crappy one). It sits there for a while, not making a lot of money, and then it suddenly starts growing, but it goes up and down up and down, and then eventually it reaches a relatively stable peak where it doesn't really increase beyond the peak, nor does it go below the lowest point. It just wobbles up there. We started from nothing when the Great Depression happened, and then we exploded and now we're at a point where the ups and downs aren't bad anymore, and there are protections to stop drastic drops.

And for those that are throwing a fit now, you should realize it is going to get worse. No matter what the government does right now, it's going to get worse. More people will lose their jobs or houses, more companies will go overboard, etc. But in the end, it's all not that big a deal. The country isn't going to go kerplunk into the big pile of dung that so many third world countries are desperately trying to get out of. The U.S. will still be a first world country.
And what people need to do right now is stop bitching and start doing something improve their lives. Maybe some of these people should have thought about how they spent their money in the first place, maybe saving up so they'd always have a rainy day fund. And I'm not talking poor people here, because they're always bitching for, more often than not, good reason. I'm talking the middle class people who make a decent wage, but were too stupid to save some of that money and bought loads of garbage they didn't need. You didn't need that suped up Mustang or the Porsche. You didn't need the 13 foot screen or whatever. You didn't need the cellar full of $10,000 bottles of wine. So, it's your own stupid ass fault that you're now broke, because you spent all that money on shit you don't need. You're like children and now you're blaming the government for the fact that you're a moron. The government has it's hand in screwing up the economy, but they didn't make you spend your money. You did. If you didn't want to save some of that by buying a fuel efficient car or a small TV or the occasional bottle of wine, that you actually drink rather than save, then that's your fault, not the government's. That's what freedom is about. You have the freedom to be a complete moron, and you have the freedom to bitch, but if you bitch when it's your own damn fault, then I'll ridicule you. This isn't the end of the world...
Eh, Shaun, you're amazing.

It is going to get worse, but we've learned in history class (and yes, I know that it's not supposed to be this low,) that when you go into a recession, you come back out. The Roaring 20s is a good example of high economy since it had just come out of WWI, then the Great Depression, but after WWII it was all good again, and so on and so on.
It's all a huge circle that goes round and round and round.

You're not always going to be on top.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Tsuki Hikari View Post
Eh, Shaun, you're amazing.

It is going to get worse, but we've learned in history class (and yes, I know that it's not supposed to be this low,) that when you go into a recession, you come back out. The Roaring 20s is a good example of high economy since it had just come out of WWI, then the Great Depression, but after WWII it was all good again, and so on and so on.
It's all a huge circle that goes round and round and round.

You're not always going to be on top.
The thing is that in order for us to descend to the same level as the Great Depression, a lot of really effed up stuff has to happen in the country, including our government completely crapping out, the stock market seizing up despite failsafes, etc. The Great Depression wasn't even the first of the depressions, it was just the big one that everyone remembers. But there was one before it too. The Great Depression simply taught us a valuable lesson about how to protect our assets and prevent stuff like that from happening again.
So, short of the entire world going "eh, we don't want America anymore" and no longer buying from us and everyone in the U.S. losing their houses, we're really not that bad off. It just sucks right now and it'll come back and we'll all giggle and sip our tea and think "boy, we averted that disaster" and I'll go "Yes, but I didn't piss my pants about it. I still have clean underwear."

End of story.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
It just sucks right now and it'll come back and we'll all giggle and sip our tea and think "boy, we averted that disaster" and I'll go "Yes, but I didn't piss my pants about it. I still have clean underwear."

End of story.
Thank God for George Bush and Henry Paulson's dedicated team!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Well, maybe if George Bush and Paulson and their retarded employees hadn't effed things up in the first place, we wouldn't have to have this discussion at all...but no, they had to do something stupid, that everyone said won't work, and now we can actually say, with 100% certainty that George W. Bush is the worst president ever.

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM View Post #15 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
Private enterprise screwed things up.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Very true. And stupid people.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.

Closed Thread