Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 PM View Post #1 (Link) Farming (Video Games)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
"Farming" in video games is when the player has to repeatedly do some task or action in order to achieve something, such as a higher skill level. Mainly this is found in RPGs with all the battles and levelling up.

Are you in favor or opposed to farming? On one hand, it is repetitive and time-wasting. On the other, it lets anyone with enough time on their hands progress in a game, regardless of skill or talent (like Runescape), so basically everyone will become a pro eventually.

Yea or nay?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 AM View Post #2 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 54
I love Final Fantasy for "Farming" so Yay for me

on the other hand I hate Oblivion... it's just not as nice looking, or involving in the storyline, or awesome.

(Yeah, take that, Shadow )

Salem's Lot - Stephen King
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 AM View Post #3 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I go both ways.

. . . .

Not like THAT!

But seriously now, I don't mind farming or not.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 AM View Post #4 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
I go both ways.
Yeah... ... that quote looks worse after the caption on the other picture

A Game of Thrones - GRRM

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:26 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I'm not sure this is really even a question of debate. My only complaint with a lot of RPG farming is that the worlds are too small for the number of people playing. What ends up happening is you go to the same spots over and over and over because there isn't enough to do for all the skill levels. I played a game a while back called Dark Age of Camelot and there are three realms in it, each different, but it takes forever to level up no matter which character type from the realms you are. True, they've expanded the world now, but initially you were in one of the three realms, and most of the time you went to the same three or four places to level up. If you got lucky you could get a group together and go into these deserty/swamp/wastelands areas, which most people didn't go to, but mostly you just went to the same spots. When it takes days, if not months to go from level 45 to level 46...it gets very old and boring.
There needs to be more in these games than just running around and farming. There need to be new quests created all the time so people don't get bored of it, and the quests that come with the game need to be interesting and challenging. I did quests in that game and mostly they were just stupid "go find this guy and kill him" things. That gets older after about the third time...

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM View Post #6 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
If I was opposed to farming, why would I be playing WoW?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 PM View Post #7 (Link)
seikoXchan (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 14
Personally, I find it troublesome. However, how else are you going to level up? "Farming" seems the only way, so I guess I'm fine with it.

Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
I go both ways.
. . . .
Not like THAT!
Originally Posted by GeorgeMichael View Post
Yeah... ... that quote looks worse after the caption on the other picture
Bwahaha. I love myself now.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM View Post #8 (Link)
mrfusspot (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2
I have no problem with most farming. Most of the time when I come across a farmer (in an MMO) they are farming something I don't need to kill anyway. And I'm one of those people that doesn't kill something unless I need to.
Originally Posted by Shaun
My only complaint with a lot of RPG farming is that the worlds are too small for the number of people playing. What ends up happening is you go to the same spots over and over and over because there isn't enough to do for all the skill levels. I played a game a while back called Dark Age of Camelot and there are three realms in it, each different, but it takes forever to level up no matter which character type from the realms you are.
Your complaint was with DAoC farming. In WoW, or most of the new MMO's, the world is large enough that there are only a very few amount of times you actually have to be in the same area with a lot of other people. Most of the time, you can talk to a buddy of the exact same level who is leveling on the other continent.
And DAoC did make leveling more troublesome in general. Less experience gained per kill and the fact that you lose XP when you die.

And I've begun to think that the "farming" I'm thinking of is not the same farming every one else here thinks of.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Hehe, has anyone here played a game called Harvest Moon?

Hehe, literal RP farming, with cows and ducks thrown in.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM View Post #10 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I thought Andy was talking about HM at first too

A Game of Thrones - GRRM

Closed Thread