Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Mercy (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 104
I don't really care about the subject, considering I would have a choice. I would probably take my husband's last name, but use my maiden name for writing. It doesn't really matter, though, does it? A man can take the woman's last name and they can change it if they want. It's just a personal decision.

Feel free to PM me for a critique!
How to Critique by Andy
The Great Newb Guide
by Tsuki

Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Starry (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 28
I have a friend who's Spanish, and apparently in Spain the woman adds her husband's name but also keeps her own. Sounds great, right? And then the kids get both names. It seems like a nice, equal custom, until you hear a Spanish person recite their full name...or at least the first six or seven names that they remember.

It's all for the sake of convenience.

Estara
Word Count: 49376/100000

~<3~

Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Rafael Domination (Offline)
Maker of Worlds

Times Thanked: 76
Originally Posted by starryskyes View Post
I have a friend who's Spanish, and apparently in Spain the woman adds her husband's name but also keeps her own. Sounds great, right? And then the kids get both names. It seems like a nice, equal custom, until you hear a Spanish person recite their full name...or at least the first six or seven names that they remember.

It's all for the sake of convenience.

But it sounds cool. Especially is one of your names happen to have kick-ass Spanish names.

PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Snappy Penguine View Post
And I agree, a marriage is out of love, but why does it have to be the woman that has to change her last name? That's the whole point of this. I would think if the man loved the woman he would be just as willing to change his last name to that of his lovers.
That's just the thing darling, the woman doesn't HAVE to change her last name. She can keep it for all her life.
And perhaps there are some men out there that would want their wife's last name.
The point is: it is purely a personal choice. Yes the tradition is wife changing their last name to their husband's but so what? Traditions have changed, more and more women are keeping their last names these days; and for those who want to keep the traditions, they're free to keep it. And now days no one HAS to change their last name. Besides, it's just a name, love is beyond petty things like that.
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM View Post #15 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 54
Oh Snappy, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other wouldst smell as sweet. (Is that completely correct? I'm too tired to google it )

Anyways, I agree with Nyx, Snappy. Women today have the choice of either following the tradition or not. Yes the way of thinking hasn't changed because no one really sees a problem with it, seeing as how low key it is. Usually the woman takes the last name of the man, is it sexist? No. It's just how the bloodline passed in the olden days where it was always done and it had just stayed in our minds that way. I mean our moms most likely took our dad's last name when they got married so from very young we see that the woman takes the man's name. But do they HAVE to? No. They just say I don't want to and that's that. If she's resolute it won't happen.

But for the most part I don't think it will matter that much. I doubt it will be such an important issue at the time of marriage that they'll spend months debating on whether to change her "Johns" to his "Johnson".

Clothing is fashion... fashion changes every six months (or something like that, I don't know... it was in a joke on the internet ) and technology needs to evolve because it keeps making our lives better, it makes things easier, and is basically almost seen as a necessity in today's world. What would America or nearly any other country get done without technology? We'd probably have the marines swordfighting with Samurais... (Interesting... that wasn't at all relevant but the image popped into my head...) As for this tradition however, it doesn't matter. It doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't cause coinfusion, and it just makes a lot of things like bills and forms much simpler to fill out as a family. Also if you have children and you have two different names, whose name would the child get? See, so it's simply for simplicity that it's done most of the time. And by the time you get married you really just don't care about that anymore, you know?

ok, I'm done now...

Salem's Lot - Stephen King
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Midnight_Moon (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 31
I think personally it should be the choice of the couple. If they want to take the guys last name, great! If they want to mix it around and take the girls, that's fine too. Or make a completely different one is great. I don't believe it is being sexist or anything like that. It's kinda tradition but if the couple wants to mix it around then they should completely have the choice of doing that.
We will all be stars

-"I Sing The Body Electric"

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
I know many people who have combiened last names. Like *Smith-Mayes for intstance. I am a women. I normally think of my last name in the future sounding like my current boyfriend. Like my friend kept teasing me when I was going out with this gut called David *Marigon. They called me "Lizzie *Marigon" all the time. Hmm...Anyway, last names. I think they should decide between them what their last name should be. You might want to keep their last name as one (*Smith-Mayes) or they could keep one (*Smith or *Mayes) or they could change it for good (*Mhichcovatyi).

*Changed names.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Zombified View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it.

So a woman takes a man's last name when they wed, is that the end of the world?
While I generally agree I think the problem isn't that taking a man's last name is the issue. What is the issue is the implication that woman MUST take a man's last name. For feminists and people who identify themselves as activists for women and women's rights, this implication is one of patriarchal authority, and it is an important thing to mention. Women have spend so long in western society being subject to the wills and devices of men; only recently were these social conventions adjusted.
So, while I agree that it isn't the end of the world you do have to understand the complexities of it. What should become more prevalent and discussed regarding issues of marriage is the OPTION of taking a man's name, because there actually isn't a requirement for a woman to take a man's name. A man can take the name of his wife (or husband, if that be the case), or the woman can take the husbands, or neither can take the name at all. It isn't required and that is precisely what people are upset about: it's the implication that the patriarchy is still running things, and the case is unfortunately a good one in favor of this.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 PM View Post #19 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
While I generally agree I think the problem isn't that taking a man's last name is the issue. What is the issue is the implication that woman MUST take a man's last name. For feminists and people who identify themselves as activists for women and women's rights, this implication is one of patriarchal authority, and it is an important thing to mention. Women have spend so long in western society being subject to the wills and devices of men; only recently were these social conventions adjusted.
So, while I agree that it isn't the end of the world you do have to understand the complexities of it. What should become more prevalent and discussed regarding issues of marriage is the OPTION of taking a man's name, because there actually isn't a requirement for a woman to take a man's name. A man can take the name of his wife (or husband, if that be the case), or the woman can take the husbands, or neither can take the name at all. It isn't required and that is precisely what people are upset about: it's the implication that the patriarchy is still running things, and the case is unfortunately a good one in favor of this.
Whats funny is that all the girls here just said they don't have a problem taking the man's name.

These people are just too tightly wound and need to shut up before they start up another "Political Correctness" movement.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
Originally Posted by Imelda View Post

And Zomb, they might have said they don't mind, but as soon as it's forced upon you it's a whole different matter. And you're pretty much saying women should take the man's name whether they like it or not. That's not a great attitude to have now, is it?
Did I ever say, "Women MUST take a man's last name or else!"?

Show me.
Please do.

Nothing?
Didn't think so.

All I said is that it's NOT sexist to take a man's last name and I am tired of hearing that crap.

Closed Thread