Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM View Post #1 (Link) Is There a Biological Basis for Homosexuality?
nagarjuna (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 20
Fairly self-explanatory. This is not strictly a nature vs. nurture debate, or even gay-gene vs. non-gay-gene. Just whether (and to what degree) biology plays a role in the homosexual (or heterosexual) orientation of a person. As opposed to upbringing or some other factor.

And please please please let's debate about FACTS, and not opinions or moral attitudes. Near as I can tell, the other threads that even touched on homosexuality were closed, so maybe we can demonstrate our maturity in the face of an emotionally charged issue? That would be loverly.

"Let us not mince words. The marvelous is always beautiful. Anything marvelous is beautiful. In fact, only the marvelous is beautiful."
-Andre Breton

"If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn’t worship that God."
-Archbishop Desmond Tutu

"eyes open, see. eyes half open, see better. eyes shut, see best."
-Morris Cox, "Tenet for an Artist"
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 PM View Post #2 (Link)
appleofmyeye (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 24
I know my Dad is asexual and it is likely my brother is asexual. But that is more based on their Asbergers. I do think it is passed through DNA, I have no real basis though. But if the body is seen incapable of producing children, the body alters. If that produces the 'gay gene' then so be it. That is only my theory though *shrug*.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Rafael Domination (Offline)
Maker of Worlds

Times Thanked: 76
Uh-oh, Zomb's going to shut this thread...

PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I'm keeping this thread open so long as the discussions remain civil. Anyone who immediately takes this into a "homosexuality is a sin" spin will find themselves at the pointy end of my moderating stick.

Now, to biological basis:
What is known for a fact is that homosexuality exists not just in humans, but in other species as well for various reasons that sometimes have to do with simple animals instincts to screw and sometimes for the pleasure. Humans, however, have a wider range of sexual behaviors than most animals because we are one of the few (and yes, there are other animals like that) that can have sex for reasons other than procreation. I think any argument that we should base our distinctions on what is "normal" human sexual behavior on procreation is seriously missing the point.

Now, do I think there is a biological basis that makes homosexuality part of the biological human? Yes. We've uncovered the gene that is connected to transsexuality, making that condition not something anyone can actualy go "oh, you're just being stupid," since it now has a basis in biology and can, theoretically speaking, be tested for. I suspect that gene is somehow related to the gay gene considering its relative proximity to issues of gender orientation, which plays a crucial role in homosexual identity.
I don't know for certain whether such evidence has actually been found, although there was some talk about it some time ago and it seems odd that the person that supposedly found the genetic link hasn't been flamed all over the Internet.

But considering the Earth and the persistence of homosexuality throughout human history, I suspect there is more to homosexuality than just "choice." If it were only a choice I think there would be fewer people willing to subject themselves to the discrimination and hatred that comes with the territory...particularly since they were often killed upon detection in certain parts of the world in the not-so-distant past.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM View Post #5 (Link)
nagarjuna (Offline)
Literary Artist

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
We've uncovered the gene that is connected to transsexuality, making that condition not something anyone can actualy go "oh, you're just being stupid," since it now has a basis in biology and can, theoretically speaking, be tested for. I suspect that gene is somehow related to the gay gene considering its relative proximity to issues of gender orientation, which plays a crucial role in homosexual identity.
First, could you cite a source? That's really interesting, I hadn't heard it before.

Second, gender orientation CAN be (but often isn't) related to sexual attraction. Gay man may have feminine characteristics, but needn't. Likewise, true transexuals are often heterosexual, homosexual, or a variety of other things. So I think it might be difficult to establish a connection here. But there IS evidence of a homosexuality gene on the male chromosome. There's also speculation that there isn't a gay gene but that there are genes for male-attraction genes and female-attraction genes. That makes sense to me--it would explain male homosexuality in much the same way we can explain why men have nip nips.

I don't know for certain whether such evidence has actually been found, although there was some talk about it some time ago and it seems odd that the person that supposedly found the genetic link hasn't been flamed all over the Internet.
Let me show you a link about how the biological profiles of homsexuality and left-handedness are almost identical sometime. It hasn't gotten better coverage because it would force us to change a number of our attitudes.

"Let us not mince words. The marvelous is always beautiful. Anything marvelous is beautiful. In fact, only the marvelous is beautiful."
-Andre Breton

-Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Here is the link to the genetic link for transsexuality. Discovered by the Aussies, which is interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7689007.stm

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
Originally Posted by Rafael Domination View Post
Uh-oh, Zomb's going to shut this thread...
Oh, how my Clint Eastwood "Kill every thread that pisses me off" phase has gained infamy.

No.
I won't close this down.
I intend to lay down my moderating powers for a long, long time.

Besides, this thread is laid out much better than the others.

And Shaunwise can take care of the people who start spewing bullshit, not me.

Throwing in what I have read though, Homosexuality IS in our human DNA. When someone is gay, it is because they possess what is called "The gay gene".

But I could be mistaken on the actual name of the gene...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

That and gay people have existed almost as long as humanity has, so it seems somewhat ridiculous to think they just "chose" to do it.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM View Post #9 (Link)
nagarjuna (Offline)
Literary Artist

Here is the link to the genetic link for transsexuality. Discovered by the Aussies, which is interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7689007.stm
Krikey! That's awesome. "Increasingly, biological factors are being implicated in gender identity." Tell it!

Sorry, just excited.

-Andre Breton

-Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
That and gay people have existed almost as long as humanity has, so it seems somewhat ridiculous to think they just "chose" to do it.
I think that, like in the case of alcoholism, people's choices can be greatly affected by their genes. But as far as genes are concerned, they do not unconditionally force someone to adopt one way of life over another.

There are genes which may make people much more prone to drink alcohol to excess, but there are plenty of stories of people whose will have overridden it. Likewise, I read stories about ex-gays (and vice-versa), and how they changed their lives.

Last edited by Andy; 01-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.