Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM View Post #1 (Link) Gardens of the Moon
Demon Hunter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 28
I didnt see this title in the index, so...

Good. Very good. I usually don't say this about a book, but yes. Stephen Erikson has great prose, great history, great and original magical system, great deity orders... and the plot seemed amazing.
Seemed is the key word here. From the beginning the complexity caught my interest, as well as the mystery and characters; well developed, powerful and unique. HIs world is hundreds of thousands of years old, with gods active on the playing ground as well as many races, human and non-human.
Now the bad.
Spoiler:
One mystery the whole book seemed to revolve around at the beginning dissolved into nothingness by the end of the book without being solved.(And no, it doesnt look like it will matter in the next book). We get hints about the main bad guy at the middle of the book, and that seemed kind of random. Oh, and when he dies the book doesnt end... it goes on for a while while we watch another "main" bad guy rise, and then be defeated within the next five pages. It got really random around the end, and i really think he could have worked the mystery up a few notches. I found it rather frustrating when all the mystery was being solved...

And i wanted at least one good guy to die. but that's just me.

Recomend it? yes. Taste this guy's genius and creativity.

I will crit upon request, but... Acknowledge: Though my punches may be soft, i will not pull any.

Professional Artist. Musician. Singer. Downhiller. Magician. No, I'm not a grown up yet, but I would give it all to be able to write the way I want to.

A Quick Reality Check
How to write Cliche Fantasy
ELEMENTAL: Characters.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 AM View Post #2 (Link)
BornForGreatness (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Hey dude, Demon Hunter...well, if you loved Gardens of the Moon I cannot fathom you not fangasing at the following two books, Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice . To me, Gardens of the Moon was a slug and overly-complex just for indulgence's sake, but... Deadhouse Gates redeemed my whole thoughts on the series as a whole and is one of the greatest books I have ever read. It is also the only book to have made me cry. More than once. And yes...many good guys die in the coming books Oh so many! Read them and pleaaaase let me know about your experience. Oh how you will love this series! I'm currently on the third book and sobbing haha!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 PM View Post #3 (Link)
pwhlee (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Hmmm.... I gave up after reading the first two pages. There were so many things that confused me, but I may give it another shot.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 PM View Post #4 (Link)
DenLee (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Thank you for review!
I have tried to read this book some times ago, but abandoned it. Because it seemed too complex too me.
But after your words, I think I will try to read it again.