Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-04-2015, 03:44 PM View Post #1 (Link) Stephen King - Salem's Lot
pendell (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3
Salem’s Lot is a sloooooooooow book. As I read this book, I wondered how anything could ever be so boring. I was wondering, as I read it, how this could have ever been classified as horror, and how Stephen King could ever be called, “The King of Horror.” But by the end I realized how this is a truly astonishing book.

The book follows Ben Mears as he heads back to his hometown, Jerusalem’s Lot, to write a book about the Marsten House, or as I like to call it, The House on Haunted Hill. Because that’s what it is, I’ve never read of a more generic spooky house in my life. It’s a big dilapidated old mansion that sits vacant atop a lonely small hill, overlooking the town. Like you could get any more cliche.

The book is far more concerned with telling us about random people’s daily activities than focusing on the strange goings-on in the town that coincide with the arrival of Kurt Barlow and Richard Straker, the two new occupants of The House on Haunted Hill. The book does take breaks from explaining where people ate lunch and what they ordered there to briefly tell the reader about some very strange occurrences, like the death of the two Glick boys, Danny and Ralphie, and how the townsfolk are all slowly getting really sick and staying in bed all day. But it rushes over these kinds of things, or mentions them so casually that it takes any semblance of fright right out of them.

I was convinced the book didn’t care after about two hundred pages of people talking, and a forced, extremely uncomfortable sex scene that the book glazed over like it didn’t even want to include it, so it had literally no reason to exist.

Then Barlow showed up. And the book became the most amazing thing ever. You see, the book had spent so long developing Jerusalem’s Lot. It spent entire chapters going over the days of characters that we would never see or care about again. Eventually, whether I knew it or not, the town of Jerusalem’s Lot became real to me. It was boring because it was all realistic, and nothing book-worthy ever really happens in a real small town. As an effect, the town became real in my mind. And when shit hit the fan, it caught me off guard. It made it feel like these last hundred or so pages were actually happening somewhere as I read them. It made what would usually be a “huh, cool” moment in the book become a “HOLY CRAP” moment!

I realized that was the genius of this book. It created a perfect replica of the real world, so when the supernatural stuff happened, it hit home harder than most books I’ve read recently. It made it feel like the things happening in Jerusalem’s Lot could happen where you live. I actually became paranoid for a few days after reading this book, and I probably would’ve freaked out if some kid at school had gotten sick and couldn’t come to school.

This is, as a newspaper review at the back of my copy says, the slowest of slow burns, a drip-feed book. But the climax makes it all worth the long wait. The ending of this book is the light at the end of the tunnel. If you have good patience, definitely check this book out, it’s a classic, and for good reason.

Last edited by pendell; 11-05-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 AM View Post #2 (Link)
vaultoutfielder (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Sounds interesting! I haven't read that book but I am really one of Stephen King's fans. He writes really good books! I like the plots and twists!