Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 PM View Post #1 (Link) The 6 Stages of Writing
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Last month, May, I did my own Nanowrimo where I strove to finish 50,000 words by May 31st. I was stuck on this one story that was just floating in my head for a long time and I said, "Enough is enough. This needs to be written down." I had about 10,000 words down from trying to write it about a year ago. But I made up for that handicap becuase I reached 60,000 words by May 31st.

The draft is still not done and I'm hoping to continue chugging on to the end this coming week. I'm basically at the final stretch of the story.

But I amazed myself in realizing, "I don't need to join in on a worldwide, annual contest to motivate myself to write more than half of a first draft down."

It was a grueling experience. It's the roughest draft I've ever written. There were times when I was even ashamed to look at the words on the screen and so I closed my eyes while typing. I felt SO BAD about it that at one point I literally shouted, "WHAT AM I EVEN WRITING? BLAAAAH!", prompting my mother to burst in my room and reply, "What's wrong? What's going on?"

After May 31st, I let my thought process derail and crash. I burned out.

But then I realized I was entering another stage of writing as I looked at what I had written down and said, "Okay, this isn't so horrible. It just needs a facelift here and there and. . yeah, that would work."

You know how there's like five stages of grief or whatever? There's stages in writing too. At least, this is my take on them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Procrastination
You have the faintest glimmer of an idea but nothing to carry that on. You think about it all the time but never write anything down. You stare at your computer screen and end up browsing Facebook or Youtube or Wikipedia. You may even be haughty and in denial about it. You think, "Yeah, this is a great idea. I'll get to do it when I have the time. I'm just not ready yet." If your story requires a lot of research, then you bullshit yourself by saying, "I still need to look up a few things, so this may take a while."

2. The Hurdle
You overcome your procrastination and start to write. Just like going to the gym is half the battle, getting to sit down and type a page or two is already half the battle. Once you jump The Hurdle, things move along. Ideas start putting themselves in place, which leads to---

3. The Drive
You successfully jumped The Hurdle. You're moving along. You're writing! Yay! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

4. Turbulence
You may give up here, or you can still charge. Things went well for a while but oh shit - now you have no idea where to go. Now you start to hate your writing - but like REALLY hate it. You enter a period of self-loathing. You're the worst writer in the world. People will tear you a new one if they critiqued this.

5. Burnout
You're done. You reached your goal. You don't even want to look at this thing anymore, so you set it aside and take a nap or play video games or watch movies.

6. Appreciation
This is that really good feeling you get when you look back at your work and realize you can fix it. You can write well. It's in you after all. You only had to realize one thing in order to get over the hurdle and through the turbulence - Never. Be. Afraid. To. Write. Poorly.

Last edited by ScottyMcGee; 06-11-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM View Post #2 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
While this was entertaining to read, I'd like to add that these stages, just like the five stages of grief, aren't always in this order, and not all are guaranteed to be finished because some people may skip steps or go backwards and forwards.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I used to go through this a lot. I still do, on occasion. The more practice you have with writing novels, particularly blasting through them, the less troubles you have with it. You might go through this process a few more times, but eventually, I think, you'll move past it.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 AM View Post #4 (Link)
lilyandherviolin (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
I usually miss steps 3 and 6, unfortunately. This was fun to read, and enlightening too.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Absolutely agreed with you!
But I think a stage before appreciation is "the determination" to get back after a burnout.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 AM View Post #6 (Link)
KarlaB (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
its really good guide, thanks for sharing with us
192.168.o.1

Last edited by KarlaB; 02-11-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Steve Collins (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Thank you for sharing this with us. By this way we make reader curious to read further.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Mudy (Offline)
Novice Writer

really good info, thx for that