Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-28-2015, 03:17 PM View Post #1 (Link) Getting Writing Confidence Back.
EJWrites (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I have had writer's block for quite a while now and every time I try to write, I delete it or start again because I think it's rubbish. I know every writer has confidence issues at some point and I guess it's my turn but my question is how do I start believing in myself again?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Patience. This might be a good point to read a lot, to soak in what other authors do and then apply it to your own writing. It's actually fairly common that artists have periods where they hate their own work, and that's often a sign that they're in a period of learning.

I often try to write through my writer's blocks, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 PM View Post #3 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I recommend a few things that have helped me, but take in mind that these may not be for you.

1. Take a Break. Stressing and strangling my brain or health will often make my writer's block even worse or remove it with a bad idea to be used instead, which will often lead to another block. I leave the writing and do something that'll relax me, such as listen to music, go to sleep, or play video games, which lead me to my next tip...

2. Take In Something Inspirational. If your writer's block is because you're stuck with what idea you should make next, then indirectly try to find ideas from other things, such as plot driven video games, books, chatting with people, etc. The reason why I say indirectly is because you don't want to make this a chore; have fun. When you're not enjoying the hunt, your skills of observation won't be as good, at least that was for me.

3. Reassess Your Ideas. Perhaps your writer's block is due to confusion about what should happen next? If so, then I HIGHLY recommend making an outline of everything that's going on in your story. I've made a guide on how to do outlines for stories here.

Here's a link to another guide on getting past a writer's block if you're still having trouble with some specific things, such as characters and plot.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:32 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 241
If the problem is that you're deleting what you do write, it might help to resist deleting stuff, no matter how garbage you think it is, and keep writing. It might help to continue an idea past a point that maybe you're specifically having trouble with, i.e maybe the opening isn't working for you, but you might write a second chapter that you really like and will carry onto the rest of what you're writing, for example.

As for confidence, if you're finding things you don't like about your writing, ask yourself what about it you don't like/why you don't like it, and try and change according to that. Are the characters just not jumping out at the start for you? Try practicing characterization; is the opening too slow? Try starting the story a scene later, and seeing if you can make it work that way. That kind of a thing, on top of what the others said.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM View Post #5 (Link)
EJWrites (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Thank you all for your advice. I just need to carry on writing and hopefully I will get my groove back
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 AM View Post #6 (Link)
PhantomAria (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Writer's block is one of the worst feelings in the world.

I agree with Infinity_Man- the only thing you can do immediately to combat writer's block is to write, no matter how bad it seems like everything is turning out. Find something that makes you want to write again (music, a particularly interesting artwork, something like that) and let that creativity take you somewhere new.

Keep writing and good luck! Hope the cloud clears up soon.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM View Post #7 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
DONT DELETE.

NO.

DONT YOU DARE PRESS THAT BACKSPACE BUTTON.

NEVER

EVER

EVER

PRESS BACKSPACE

(UNLESS YOU ARE EDITING)

If I were to give you one piece of advice, it's to always move forward - never backward. If you're stuck and uninspired, never delete anything. Keep going no matter how awful it appears. If you find something better to write, save it under another filename, edit and continue.

It's always better to have something than nothing.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 PM View Post #8 (Link)
pwhlee (Offline)
Novice Writer

I never get writer's block because I always plan ahead and know what I'm writing towards.

I know where my character will be and what he will be like by the end of the novel. I know where I want to plot to be by the end of the current chapter.

With these things in mind I always know what I should be writing, so I always think about these questions before sitting down to write.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:27 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Deanajohnson (Offline)
Novice Writer

Thank you completely for your guidance. I just required to bring on writing and confidently I will get my channel back.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Deanajohnson (Offline)
Novice Writer

Keep motivating yourself and come to be confidence in writing