Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-20-2015, 04:13 AM View Post #1 (Link) Physical Writing Speed Improvement Help!
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Can anyone please tell me tips on how to physically write faster? I'm not talking about the word creation, nor am I talking about the organization of words in my head. I'm talking about the literal speed of my hand that is writing words on paper. I'm perfectly fine with my typing speed, but my school isn't keen on wanting their students to not write timed essays.

Just a little hand background info from me: I write faster when I add more pressure and write slower when I lessen that pressure. I'm trying to adjust to writing softer because I heard that putting so much stress on the hand, like I am with almost ripping paper with my wooden number two pencil, can result in arthritis. When I write with stress, my text is clear and legible, but it's the opposite with less stress. However, I'm trying my hardest to write faster with a gentle touch while keeping words comprehensible.

Before you say, "Use a mechanical pencil," I will say that I absolutely hate them to death! The necessary pressing of a button just to get the needed graphite instead of having a much more stable and longer amount of it after sharpening is irritating to me.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.

Last edited by GeonamicWarrior; 03-20-2015 at 04:20 AM.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:54 PM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
What do you think of liquid pencils? They're more like mechanical in the way they write, but more like wooden in that your graphite is always there & doesn't break so easily. I've never used one; I hypothesize that you'll poke holes in the paper a few times, because the tip looks pretty small. But that may help you train yourself to write with less pressure.

Sharpie pens also helped me write with less pressure: they glide smoothly and don't bleed, and don't have the kind of ink issues that encourage hard writing. But their felt tips do not stand up to prolonged high-pressure writing. After I destroyed one, I started to pay attention, and my handwriting is definitely less pressurized & more legible with these pens.
...Is it faster, I honestly don't know. I think I write pretty quickly anyway.

I assume that writing in pen is not an option for schoolwork, so if you don't like liquid pencils, you might ask yourself if it matters if your writing is high-pressure on exams. One hr's writing isn't going to cause arthritis. If you write with less pressure outside of exams, you should be fine, and you can do that by either finding a different writing utensil or slowing down. It's possible to find wooden pencils with leads of different sizes and hardnesses-- again, not something you can use on exams, but totes something you can use on your own time.

ETA: Here's an amazon link for liquid pencils, it actually looks like the reviews are bad. Oops.

ETA2: Also, you can get mechanical pencils with 0.9 lead that breaks far less easily. I personally hate them, because they're so thick, but that's the same reason I don't use wooden pencils, so you might not mind. This doesn't "solve" the issue of instability/clicking, but it's better than with 0.7 lead. (personally I use 0.5, despite being a high-pressure writer, because the beautifully thin line is worth clicking every five seconds.)

Aside from changing your writing utensil, the best trick for changing writing style is sheer practice.

Last edited by lalodragon; 03-23-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Oh my gosh, I didn't even know sharpie liquid pencils existed! I'm definitely going to try them out. Writing in pen is what I have to use when I'm doing timed essays in class, but I hate to use pens when I don't have to because I have to either scribble out my spelling errors or use white out. There are times when I have to write notes during a class movie/video/podcast, which needs me to write faster than I usually do when I'm writing for homework stuff. The same rushed writing speed can be said with the many assignments that are issued during class and must be turned in in the same class period.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM View Post #4 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Do you write in script? I've always written in script since I was taught it in second grade. It's a few seconds faster than writing in print.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:29 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
Do you write in script? I've always written in script since I was taught it in second grade. It's a few seconds faster than writing in print.
Could you elaborate what's writing in script? I don't recall that terminology.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Script is cursive, essentially.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Script is cursive, essentially.
Oh my gosh, I HATED writing cursive! That flow of not lifting the writing tool between letters makes my hand feel like it's always working during a word spelling. Even if it's for a split second, a break between letters with a simple lift of the hand is so relaxing to me. Not only that, but I personally dislike reading it, too.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM View Post #8 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Gosh, I hate print because it feels like I'm a kindergartener. The fact that I have to lift my hand a lot feels choppy and not elegant.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 PM View Post #9 (Link)
pwhlee (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Writing in cursive is the fastest way to write. Use smaller loops, write a lot, and everything will be faster.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by pwhlee View Post
Writing in cursive is the fastest way to write. Use smaller loops, write a lot, and everything will be faster.
That doesn't necessarily mean others and I will be able to read what I write, though. This is another reason why I like print more.