YWO Social Groups

Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository (US) (UK) (Canada)

Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 AM View Post #1 (Link) Critique contest - September '12
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator
Times Thanked: 355

Many thanks to Carr, prose guest judge extraordinaire. The scores for prose crits are an average of the overall scores we assigned for each person. You can yell at me for the poetry scores. As you will soon see from point breakdowns and comments PM'ed to each of you, this was really hard to judge because everything entered was complete, helpful and proficient. Check your inbox in about eight hours or so for comments! Points will be awarded later tonight too.

Best poetry critique: On "Of Love Lost" by mfarr1992

Best poetry critiquer: Ares (with 18 points)
Runners up: mfarr1992 (with 17.5 points)
Wig (8.75 points)

Best prose critique: On "Betrayal" by BurningGrace
A very close runner-up: On "Generation" by Infinity_Man

Best prose critiquer: Good Gracious (with 34.25 points)
Runners up: Infinity man: 28.75 points
BurningGrace: 19.75 points
lalodragon: 8.5 points

Rules and such:
Critique contest
Duration: 9/6/12 until 9/29/12 at 11:59 PM (it's a Saturday)

The aim of this contest is to encourage and reward good critiques throughout the month of september. Anything posted on the writing forum in the above duration is eligible.

There will be four prizes awarded during this contest:
Best prose critique (2 thank points)
Best poetry critique (2 thank points)
Best prose critiquer overall (5 thank points)
Best poetry critiquer overall (5 thank points)

For the purposes of this contest, prose consists of anything posted in any of the short story or novel forums; the essays forum; and selected work in the other writing forum. Poetry consists of anything posted in the poetry and lyrics forums as well as selected work in the other writing forum.

To sign up for the contest, post in this thread. Then, go do some critiques on the writing side of the forum. Every time you do a critique you want to enter into the contest, you should edit your post with a link to the critique so I don't have to go hunting for it.

Critiques will be judged on a number of criteria, which include (but aren't limited to, because it's an imprecise art):
- Demonstrating an understanding of what the author was trying to achieve with the piece, either by addressing their concerns or discussing what was happening/what the author was communicating (or failing to communicate)
- Making suggestions or asking questions in order to help the piece communicate its main ideas, emotions, story, etc. more effectively
- Looking at the "big picture", not just spelling, grammar, etc
- Looking at questions of form - in prose, things like narrative structure, pacing, point of view. In poetry, things like rhyme, rhythm, sound, enjambment, and rhetorical structure.
- Considering and potentially making suggestions for better use of language - imagery, metaphor, sentence structure
- Considering voice or character development
- Being concrete and specific with both interpretations and suggestions for improvement
- Striking a good balance between honesty, helpfulness, and civility (with emphasis on the first two)

For any critique that you post and link to in this thread, you can earn up to 10 contest points. You can also earn negative points if you post a critique that I am obliged to delete as a crit sheriff. So don't spam the forum with useless critiques - it will make me cranky and it will lose you an undetermined bucket of points.

In addition, everyone who participates will get some feedback about their critiques. Expect a few sentences to a few paragraphs via PM once the contest is over.

Here are some examples of good critiques:
Short story crit
Another, less positive short story crit

Poem critique

I could use a hand with judging prose critiques. If anybody would be interested in doing this, send me a PM or a VM.
						Last edited by Isis; 10-22-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer
Times Thanked: 240
People always remember the less positive short story critiques I do.

Anyway, I'm down! If you don't get anyone willing to judge prose, though, I'd also be willing to do that instead of entering the contest.

The Lost Legion
The Betrayal
Infinity_Man's Mega Guide

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
						Last edited by Infinity_Man; 09-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM View Post #3 (Link)
BurningGrace (Offline)
Idea Scribe
Times Thanked: 19
This sounds awesome...I'll enter. I'll edit this post then when I critique something.

Are we allowed to edit our critique after we submit it? After I critique something I find myself continuously going back for the next few days to see if I've missed anything or made any mistakes.

The Betrayal
I love critiquing. PM/VM me for one! Also, I do accept "thank"s for a good critique... >_> Actually, I HIGHLY encourage it. Otherwise I won't know if you liked it or got it.
						Last edited by BurningGrace; 09-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM View Post #4 (Link)
GoodGracious (Offline)
Literary Artist
Times Thanked: 35
I'll enter, although I don't know how many critiques I'll actually end up doing this month... but I'll put links in here.

No Turning Back critique
Dungeon Angel
Eagle Eyes
Spook House
						Last edited by GoodGracious; 09-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Tilly Tot (Offline)
Idea Scribe
Times Thanked: 11
I don't know if i should enter, I mean I'm not that good at critiqueing am I?
People are like music; some speak the truth and others are just noise.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator
BurningGrace: yeah, you can edit a critique. I often do that as well - sometimes I think of something to add a few hours or a day after the fact. I'll just judge everything linked to in this thread "as is" after the contest ends.

Tilly Tot: you're still learning about critiquing, but I've seen a few good ones from you. I think the best thing for you to do (if you want to enter) is to just enter those crits that you think you did a really good job on - critiques where you had a lot to say, made a bunch of suggestions, went line-by-line through the piece. I'll only judge what you link to in this thread, so you have a chance to show off your best.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 AM View Post #7 (Link)
mfarr1992 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice
Times Thanked: 60
I've been slacking on critiques lately, so maybe this will give me the push I need. Count me in.

Poetry Dump

Of Love Lost
						Last edited by mfarr1992; 09-15-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM View Post #8 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator
Times Thanked: 193
Oooh, the day of the beginning is the day I critted something.
Until I have something better.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Ares (Offline)
Times Thanked: 38
Count me in.
Does the number of critiques count, or is it only quality of critiques?

Crit 1

Crit 2
						Last edited by Ares; 09-13-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator
A combination of number and quality counts for "Best __ Critiquer". Each critique can earn a max of 10 points. So if you enter 3 critiques, you could potentially earn 30 points; but quality is going to determine how many points a given critique earns. Someone who enters a lot of 3 point crits is not going to rank as highly as someone who enters a few 10 point crits.

I'll also be looking for the best single critique in poetry and in prose, so it's worth it to take a little extra time on a critique and aim for that prize as well.
						Last edited by Isis; 09-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.