Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM View Post #1 (Link) Handwriting
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
I'm currently in England, observing the schools here and comparing them to American schools back home.

One major difference is that handwriting is an actual part of the curriculum here, and it is not in America. In Florida, we emphasize the content. We do expect handwriting to be legible (some teachers are more strict about neatness than others), but ultimately handwriting isn't part of the grade. In Devon, England, the students' handwriting is far better than back home-- it's actually considered part of what is being taught. The argument is that it helps develop spelling and literacy skills, as well as the obvious fine motor skills.

What do you guys think about handwriting? Is it important, and would it help students learn to be better writers? Should America be more proactive about handwriting?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:29 PM View Post #2 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Honestly, Kelly, even in my school they don't say a word about it though those with better ones are appreciated and the ones that are beyond acceptable (rare cases)are told to improve yet it is not taken that seriously and I don't think handwriting matters at all, my English tutor didn't have a good handwriting either because in future we won't be writing. I myself hardly write when I am not in school and even when I'll be doing a job I am most likely to not write by hand so I believe handwriting doesn't matter instead schools should focus on practical stuff and ways students learn with interest instead of taking it like a burden.
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude

Last edited by DestinyVamp; 05-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:42 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
When I was in primary school, my teacher said that handwriting isn't just about neatness or anything, but like Kel says, to improve overall literacy skills and spelling. He said it's a form of muscle-memory, and I kind of agree, though I loaaathed the additional handwriting sessions he made me do. Even now, I can recall so many times just this week where I've had to finger-spell something for a student I work with, but I've had to write it down first to know how to do so. My hand remembers better than my head does, somehow, and that's totally about handwriting - it doesn't work the same for me with typing.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM View Post #4 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Lykaios View Post
My hand remembers better than my head does, somehow, and that's totally about handwriting - it doesn't work the same for me with typing.
All this. I think that handwriting is pretty important; there are studies that show that students who wrote down information for an exam remembered it better than those who typed it, whether or not they could review their notes.
Does that mean that legibility is important? maybe not. But I've been plagued by enough lab partners whose handwriting I couldn't read to wish that America cared a bit more.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 PM View Post #5 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
My handwriting is shit. I'm the only person I know who writes in cursive. My thoughts just run faster than my hand so I end up scratching out a lot of things.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 AM View Post #6 (Link)
KathyHamilton (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Handwriting is a basic tool used in many subjects such as taking notes, taking tests, and doing classroom work and homework. Poor handwriting can have a pervasive effect on school performance.It puts the focus on content and boosts confidence.It is an everyday communication skill.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 AM View Post #7 (Link)
DenLee (Offline)
Novice Writer

I think that handwriting has to be presented for not only children but also for students as it improves memory, analytic skills, etc.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:38 AM View Post #8 (Link)
lazlo92 (Offline)
Novice Writer

To be frank, they're always saying that handwriting is important for building a curriculum, because absence of that allegedly would lead to the remembering decrease. But there's no actual studies to prove that point of view