Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 PM View Post #11 (Link)
MYAnna_M (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 0
I looked up "four different types of writing styles" and it just came up with "expository, descriptive, persuasive, and narrative," which is just applying to essay writing basically. I agree with 2sh4r, although there are those certain authors who just have that... defining style of writing where you're like, "I know what author that is!" For example, maybe not as noticeable of a style but, (and maybe it isn't exactly a type of style but, just work with me here) Shakespeare and how his plays are littered with plays on words (OMG - I just did a play on words by saying that!). I wholeheartedly relate to your dilemma and maybe you need to do a combo of all the responses you've received: read and really be conscious of the methods of writing, adhere your own personal touch to your writing and I think your writing can reflect your personality and virtues, so let you personality and morals shine through, too. I mean, you don't normally read stories with pro-abortion tales from an Evangelist Christian author.

Okay, that took a weird turn.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by dayle View Post
I would suggest reading more. You can learn writing styles when you read, especially when you read a lot.
Well, there's one consideration you should keep in mind. Reading per se is an amazing and goddamn useful entertainment but in terms of working out your own writing style hm, I think, it sucks. The point is you are always inclined to imitate the style of your most favourite writers. For the most part it transpires subconsciously. You don't do it on purpose, just like in our usual habits and manners we are apt to imitate the behavior of our idols. Some time ago I liked to eat chips from the packet like Brad Pit does in Ocean's 11( but for me that didn't work), there was a time when I was trying to imitate the cold steel look of Jason Statham ( that didn't work either)
I don't want you to misunderstand me: I'm not trying to demote the meaning of reading, I just want to point out that there's no flat line between reading and working out your own writing style, as you seem to think. Of course, the connection exists but this connection is not direct, is not simple and primitive, it is implicit, not obvious.
Reading a lot of good books, you accumulate a huge range of stylistic features and different ways of expressing ideas.
But while writing a novel, you should make sure that you aren't copying someone's style but using a recycled huge stock of your knowledge of the language for the best expression of the idea that you want to convey.
If your novel is not based on the idea, but you're just trying to amuse the audience(as I often do), and in this case you have to find the best form for the expression of your yarn. Right?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 04-19-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM View Post #13 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Well, Yeah Myanna
These four styles are for writing essays (Which I maybe never did) I believe if we are writing something longer (really-really longer) we need to apply the four of them and as for developing own style we don't know if it's OUR style or BAKWAAS style (Bakwaas means useless, I had to use that word for I can't express it out without spicy language)
You know, I can't just so something like "Hey my masterpiece (CRAP) is ready and I copied no one's style" Our own style--but actually it's WRONG.
That can be embarresing and you can ask me because it's a personal experience......
And Georgy,
That is actually the problem, recently I just started reading The Plague by Albert Camus (for style and nothing else) spare me, I'm a kid. I couldn't just read it because I had to focus on each setnence's construction, formation blah blah blah. I could hardly focus on the actual story since I had to look up almost every word. That is Why I am not a very big fan of developing a style by reading other authors. (I love to read, not just on that perpose)
YET I would never want to directly copy anyone's style. (I can't be Stepheni Mayer, her style was crapy and copied to)
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude
Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 AM View Post #14 (Link)
MYAnna_M (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 0
You guys are absolutely right in all of this. I agree - subconsciously, we probably do copy other styles from other authors and books we've read. But I think we can adjust/reflect on styles we've read to our own personal styles because how do we know how to use a style of writing if we don't even know styles people write in or what a style even is? We have to have prior knowledge to propel the future. You know there's a study that says kids who do poorly in Language Arts classes and essays and creative writing assignments rarely if never read books because they want to. On the flip side kids who do read books because they like to, score much, much, much higher on the writing assignments and Language Arts class themselves. You might say "it's the American education system," but it still has weight because it was an international study in first class countries.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 AM View Post #15 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Oh yeah is does still matter and we can't ever know how people are writing until we read it, let's not focus on every single sentence and just see what have grasped automatically
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by DestinyVamp View Post
Oh yeah is does still matter and we can't ever know how people are writing until we read it, let's not focus on every single sentence and just see what have grasped automatically
My GF says she reads books twice: first time for the sake of the plot, the second - for the sake of the style. However she didn't have patience to get through reading my book even one time. If that is not a discrimination I don't know what discrimination is.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by MYAnna_M View Post
[SIZE="2"]I looked up "four different types of writing styles" and it just came up with "expository, descriptive, persuasive, and narrative," which is just applying to essay writing basically.
No, that certainly applies to fiction writing, too, except persuasive.

The best way to learn about different styles, period, is by reading different authors. There are so many different approaches to writing it's impossible to peg them down with a google search, really.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 AM View Post #18 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Woops sad for you Georgy It must not be the genre she reads or once it gets published maybe then....
And Dabs, yeah that is right, all of these apply to writing fiction but the techniques and sentence structure (My biggest issue) can't be grasped without reading I would try what Georgy's GF does, that perhaps is very useful.

Last edited by DestinyVamp; 04-21-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 AM View Post #19 (Link)
dayle (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 3
There are many writers that were also able to experience what you have right now. I also admit that I do have some great ideas but doesn't know how to have it on words. I believe you will be able to accomplish it if you just pursue and give your determination to it.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:25 PM View Post #20 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Right but age matters doesn't it? I guess I am too young for it so I am planning to take a long break, it's only that I am never satisfied if I don't write.