Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM View Post #31 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Ah. Amythest Arsenic. One of my first ever submissions. Rejected of course.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM View Post #32 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 99
Right so I'd just like to point out that Bootcamp is officially live. Hurrah. All the top-end journals will be dominated by YWO, just you wait.

If you would like to join the group, and feel that you deserve to, then PM me. At its very basic level the group aims to foster an environment of polishing work and submitting it to print/online journals; it also functions as an information hub for publishing resources such as markets.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM View Post #33 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
FYI: It dawned on me that the Bootcamp is not in the Writing section, which means that any critiques written there will not confer points. I'm not sure if this is important to all of you. It may be just be an irrelevant fact...

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM View Post #34 (Link)
Julian (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 78
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
FYI: It dawned on me that the Bootcamp is not in the Writing section, which means that any critiques written there will not confer points. I'm not sure if this is important to all of you. It may be just be an irrelevant fact...
Irrelevant. What a bad example Shaun, spamming just to get your post points up and all. Very sneaky, too, tssk tssk. A far cry from the benevolent leader you are in history books.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM View Post #35 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Yeah, I don't think it really matters; the focus isn't all critiquing, and I think most of us there have more critique points than we know what to do with (at least, I do)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM View Post #36 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Fair enough. Hope it goes well

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM View Post #37 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Whoa-whoa-wowy-zowie, what have we here? How did I not notice this thread before?

Since last summer, I submitted two stories. One got rejected the other I'm still waiting despite it being over a month now.

I specify in fantasy/sci-fi short stories though. And I've been trying to find any good ones besides Fantasy and Science Fiction, Asmiov's Science Fiction, and Analog Science Fiction and Fact. There were a couple online I found but they discontinued/are inactive for some unknown reason, despite being PERFECT for what I write. The only online one I know of that's still good is Lightspeed.

Though I'm planning on submitting fiction pieces soon, but not right now. Sooooo all these lists are helpful.

I always find trouble in the length of my stories though. They're not short stories, but they're not novellas either, and it becomes a pain in the ass when a mag has a specific number of words that's close but not really.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM View Post #38 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Check Ralan.com, Scotty. Lots of stuff listed there

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM View Post #39 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Further Lists, updated to OP:

UK Lit Mags - 173 at the moment, updated regularly

US Mags - mainly US based from my perusing; seems very substantial; also contains alternative magazine list which caters to niche areas EDIT: Props to mfarr1992 for finding this first!

"Mega list of sci-fi/fant/horror short story markets"

Last edited by Spacepirate; 04-26-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 AM View Post #40 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Moar things Spacey? You are so amazing, you know right? I know I am. Thank you so much Spacey. Don't sweat it. The things I do for you. Come on guys, come over here.

"The Pushcart Prize - Best of the Small Presses series, published every year since 1976, is the most honored literary project in America. Hundreds of presses and thousands of writers of short stories, poetry and essays have been represented in the pages of our annual collections. Writers who were first noticed here include: Raymond Carver, Tim O’Brien, Jayne Anne Phillips, Charles Baxter, Andre Dubus, Susan Minot, Mona Simpson, John Irving, Rick Moody, and many more. Each year most of the writers and many of the presses are new to the series."

Each year an absolute behemoth 600 page anthology comes out filled with glorious things from small presses (so you won't find New Yorker nor Harper's; nor will you find online content because the guy who runs it hates the internet, or something) here. But anyway I've actually yet to get my hands on an anthology so I cannot for sure validate its quality - however since the prize is quite well regarded, you can actually use the prize to create a literary ranking of (American) journals, based on how many times they have won the award in the past in total.

For Poetry
For Fiction
For Non-Fiction

On the flip side here's a list for Best American Short Stories, this time which does include large presses (although small presses still dominate-ish). EDIT: Two lists!

BASS 2000-2010 (Worth noting that magazines were ranked based on their appearance in the anthology as well as 'Notable Stories' listed, which counted equally.)
BASS 2007-2012(The points were unequal for 'Notable Stories' compared to actual story inclusion.)

Unfortunately all of this is pretty print and Americo-centric but it's a starting point for people who might want to see their work in print, distinguish which are the 'good' print journals, and are lucky enough to live in the majesty of Amurika. I couldn't find a British list although in 2011 Salt Publishing has published The Best British Short Stories. I'm waiting for 2012 to come through the mail and will write up the magazines on here.

Last edited by Spacepirate; 04-18-2013 at 01:20 PM.