Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 AM View Post #1 (Link) A call for new moderators!
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 114
Hello!

So, plan of action is in place-ish. But! I need a staff team that is actually active, and not just lurking and never contributing to the site and staff discussions. I'm looking for 8-10 new moderators. Yep, this is a lot, and I might not actually mod that many people, but I'm optimistic -- it'd be great to have a lot of people, really. Makes the job easier for the whole team, especially while I/oldies do bits of training for you, and means we can take it easy and make sure all new mods are up to speed with the aim of their role.

So the requirements are quite loose at the moment, but the aim is to eventually not be reliant on old members, so I'm really especially looking for newer/younger members (though oldies, if you're willing to help, you're most welcome right now while this goal is a little bit in the sun-hazy distance). Depending on numbers I might pair people up if we have a good mix of oldies/newbies. This is also a reason why I'm hoping to mod so many people at once.

Requirements to apply:

* You must have been a member of YWO for at least 18 months.
* You must have critiqued at least twice in this time

Desirable but not essential requirements:

* Be at least 14 years old but under 22 years old.

Your role, to start with, will be different to the role of moderators past. I don't want you guys to be messaging members about critiques unless you're confident to do so in the right manner, and I don't want poor critiques at this time to be deleted. You won't be banning anyone yet. The focus instead will be much more relaxed (so if you have zero moderating experience, don't worry about it, you'll be shallow-end first). You'll be doing things anyone can do - starting topics, critiquing, maybe we might look at starting up workshops, competitions/challenges, and small mentoring things again. As well as getting used to mod tools (such as deleting duplicate threads, merging threads/posts), learning to work with the rest of the team, and learning to moderate the chatroom when I put it up.

I don't want any younger members to be put off from applying because the green names look scary, mkay? This site if for you, and you are our vision, so it'd be great if you got the chance to play a part in it.

So yes, applying's easy - simpy PM me with your interest. If you have moderation experience, that'd be good to know, too, and also if you have a particular interest in moderating specific areas for the forum (for example, one member has already messaged me with their interest in the poetry forum).

Questions and worries can be posted in this thread or VMed to me (my inbox might be a little full).

Also to all current mods - I'm giving you all two weeks (14/10/15) to either post in this thread, a thread in the staffroom, or VM/PM me to confirm your interest in remaining a mod. I won't be contacting any of you directly as some of you I fear just lurk, and my notification popping up in your inbox isn't an indication of how interested you are in helping this site grow, or in the site in general. Some of you have not contributed at all to discussions in the staffroom or on the site in general over the last few months.

If you do not make contact in this time, then I will de-mod you. This, however, doesn't mean you can't be modded again if you get in contact with me after this time/event. But really, I only want active/interested mods, and if your life is busy and grown-up, and YWO's just nostalgia for you now, then maybe the moderation team's not the role for you right now?

Last edited by Lykaios; 10-01-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Man, I'm not sure modding is the best role for me, but I do want to be more involved in the site (especially as it's getting more active) because I miss writing, I miss y'all, and winter is coming and I'll need fun, comforting stuff to do. I'm going to think about it and get back to you about remaining a mod. This post is to remind me to get in touch again.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Isis - don't worry, the interest and dedication that you've already shown for the site during it's struggles have been an incredible help, and I'd happily keep you as a mod, even if you're occasionally busy. You're a blessing to this place when you're around!

Everyone who's messaged me already - Thank you! I won't reply to you individually yet, but I'd like to note your applications have been seen and noted and you're all on my shiney yellow post-it note on my desktop.

Everyone else: Keep 'em coming!
Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
I just saw this post. I guess I popped back in time.

I know I have been a terrible terrible mod for the past couple of years or maybe more. But I picture you may understand why. But I do love this site, and I really want to try my best to give back, because I owe it quite a lot. So, I will be logging in hopefully on a daily basis and stalking some people. Getting to know a few of the new members.

However, I have a couple of projects I'm working on, and will be too busy to critique for now. I will, though, get back to critting after that.

Izzat okay, Lily, love?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:37 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I just saw this post. I guess I popped back in time.

I know I have been a terrible terrible mod for the past couple of years or maybe more. But I picture you may understand why. But I do love this site, and I really want to try my best to give back, because I owe it quite a lot. So, I will be logging in hopefully on a daily basis and stalking some people. Getting to know a few of the new members.

However, I have a couple of projects I'm working on, and will be too busy to critique for now. I will, though, get back to critting after that.

Izzat okay, Lily, love?
Yus of course it is. It's wonderful to have you back
Old 10-04-2015, 01:47 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Originally Posted by Lykaios View Post
Yus of course it is. It's wonderful to have you back
Weeee

thank youu. It's wonderful to be back. I miss all of this. And I am really looking forward contribute to this site and stuff <3

Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
I'm one of those mods that haven't been active in forever--clearly--and I think it's now time to stop pretending I'm going to come back and be active again. I just started my masters degree, so that's taking up a lot of my time right now (it's online and in creative writing, so I spend way too much time on the computer doing writing-related stuff as it is). YWO is great and I'm glad you guys are trying to make it as good as it once was! I wish I could help, but right now, I can't--as much as I wish that wasn't true.

To Lyk--and to the new mods, whoever they'll be (as well as the few remaining oldies )--good luck!

EDIT: Ugh, that was hard to make myself hit "submit." XD

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Isis - don't worry, the interest and dedication that you've already shown for the site during it's struggles have been an incredible help, and I'd happily keep you as a mod, even if you're occasionally busy. You're a blessing to this place when you're around!

Everyone who's messaged me already - Thank you! I won't reply to you individually yet, but I'd like to note your applications have been seen and noted and you're all on my shiney yellow post-it note on my desktop.

Everyone else: Keep 'em coming!
Thanks! I'm going to try and crit and participate a little over the next few months and hopefully it will help get things off the ground.

Originally Posted by Majyk View Post
I'm one of those mods that haven't been active in forever--clearly--and I think it's now time to stop pretending I'm going to come back and be active again. I just started my masters degree, so that's taking up a lot of my time right now (it's online and in creative writing, so I spend way too much time on the computer doing writing-related stuff as it is). YWO is great and I'm glad you guys are trying to make it as good as it once was! I wish I could help, but right now, I can't--as much as I wish that wasn't true.

To Lyk--and to the new mods, whoever they'll be (as well as the few remaining oldies )--good luck!

EDIT: Ugh, that was hard to make myself hit "submit." XD
Hugs yo. And good luck with your master's degree! Grad school, online or off, is a rough row.

Looking forward to meeting the new mods when they get greened.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Ah, Majyk, I've pmed you, but I do hope you still drop in from time to time. It's great seeing you around, friend.

Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Looking forward to meeting the new mods when they get greened.
On this, I realise now that I totally didn't make it clear at all. The switch will be on the 14th October, and I'll be messaging all new mods this weekend to let them know they're in, and all old mods who've not signed in by then that they're unfortunately out unless they get in contact. I can't promise the chatroom will be worked out by then, but I have someone helping. However, I intend to have the staffroom and resources sorted by then. -working on them right now- My life's got suddenly very unbusy, so I've got a lot of time to play.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Ah, Majyk, I've pmed you, but I do hope you still drop in from time to time. It's great seeing you around, friend.
Oh I'll keep lurking and maybe post every once in a while, too.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein