Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by noah_arnold11 View Post
You just need to have common sense, self-control, and a realization of doing things in moderation.
All qualities children and teenagers are famous for possessing.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
All qualities children and teenagers are famous for possessing.
I know I already commented on he his but I don't think schools should even think of selling pop. My family has started for the past few years to not drink pop. I still drink some occasionally but last year my mom drank about 4 diet Pepsi's and that was it. So as I'm saying we have found an alternative for caffeine. Not coffee but tea. We love tea, so I think kids could be getting into a daily routine of drinking a pop a day of they have accsess to it. Also schools promote healthy living and lifestyles so providing pop would be contradicting to that. But I also feel schools should sell something other than milk and water. Milk and water doesn't provide caffeine and some people need caffeine to survive the day(aka me) I drink a glass of tea before I leave the house,

So that's my full opinion.

~Anonymous~
Old 04-19-2015, 05:31 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
If schools can't sell soda, why should they be selling caffeine? I feel like that's kind of contradictory.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
If schools can't sell soda, why should they be selling caffeine? I feel like that's kind of contradictory.
I mean when it comes to caffiene as in healthier beverages as of tea (sweet or unsweet schools choice) or even green tea. I see what you mean by that was contradicting but I mean healthier beverages.

Because soda is very unhealthy if you consume a lot and can cause your teeth to erode or decay. I still feel that schools should have other options to drink and none of it has to even be caffeinated!!
Drinks like:
•Orange Juice
•Apple juice
•V8
•Flavored or Sparkling water
•Etc,Etc

~Anonymous~
Old 04-20-2015, 03:29 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Okay that definitely makes more sense. When people say caffeine my mind tends to jump right to coffee.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM View Post #16 (Link)
Write_Live_Read (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
Originally Posted by Softballgirl333 View Post
I mean when it comes to caffiene as in healthier beverages as of tea (sweet or unsweet schools choice) or even green tea. I see what you mean by that was contradicting but I mean healthier beverages.

Because soda is very unhealthy if you consume a lot and can cause your teeth to erode or decay. I still feel that schools should have other options to drink and none of it has to even be caffeinated!!
Drinks like:
•Orange Juice
•Apple juice
•V8
•Flavored or Sparkling water
•Etc,Etc
Your point that schools needing more then one option for beverages is right. Schools should sell more then one thing, and that it true for my school.

For example my school sells:
*V8
*G2
*Those ICE drinks
*Arizona tea
*the normal milk and juice in a cartoon
*Flavored water
*And a few more that I know of but can't seem to remember the names for.

Anyways, my point is, that I know I have made but I somehow feel like I need to say it again, is that if a school want's to sell soda then go for it. I feel as if you think that if a school sells soda then that is the only thing they are going to sell but even if a school sells soda there can still be a variety. Leaving students with a healthier option to choose from. Anyway, yeah so I hope I didn't sound rude or stupid it's kinda late and I had only slept about 4 hours the night before. I'm running purely on caffeine myself.

"I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once"
-C.S. Lewis

"Reality continues to ruin my life"
-Bill Watterson

Thank you for reading, Good luck and continue writing.-Write_Live_Read
Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM View Post #17 (Link)
owl (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 41
Anyways, my point is, that I know I have made but I somehow feel like I need to say it again, is that if a school want's to sell soda then go for it. I feel as if you think that if a school sells soda then that is the only thing they are going to sell but even if a school sells soda there can still be a variety. Leaving students with a healthier option to choose from. Anyway, yeah so I hope I didn't sound rude or stupid it's kinda late and I had only slept about 4 hours the night before. I'm running purely on caffeine myself.
I'm going to jump in late and say that I disagree. I could maybe -- maybe -- find selling soda to high school students conscionable. Maybe. Children and young adults have not developed the decision-making part of their brain completely yet. It's a work in progress! They are also learning what good choices look like. Children do not have a lot of life experience, which is why whenever you look back at yourself from a few years ago, you think, "Wow, I was dumb." This years are critical, and you learn a lot.

Schools need to model what healthy choices look like for children. Many children grow up in low-income homes, where soda is the beverage of choice because you can buy two liters of it for cheap; many children grow up in homes where their parents do not know a lot about nutrition. Many children grow up in homes where they eat perfectly well-balanced meals, but are trying on different identities and are using consumer-power to individuate themselves from their parents. This last one is not bad in and of itself: you're supposed to do that as a young person. At the same time, schools can use this moment in children's lives to help them learn healthy eating habits, by providing them healthy choices.

Soda is not healthy, as we know. Soda does another thing: it, and other sugary foods, like the foods in dining halls everywhere,* accustom your palate to sugar. You get used to things having a lot of sugar in them. It is something that I noticed when I started eating at the dining hall more. I do not cook with salt very much, nor do I really sweeten things, but then...things started to taste bland if I didn't. I am still moderate in my cooking, but I have noticed a distinct change in my taste, based on the sugar, hidden or otherwise, that I am now used to consuming.

Soda and other foods with unnecessary sugar -- looking at you, school food -- condition students to expect certain amounts of sugar in their diet.

School is also a special environment. When children are at school, they expect the adults their, as well as the whole structure itself, to have a kind of authority over them. This isn't conscious, but school legitimizes certain things by having them around. As you get older this changes slightly (when I was fifteen, I thought everything that had to do with school was lame) but still: schools condone certain things. However, schools also have a unique authority to model choices for students. It is one thing to tell students in health class that they should not get soda. No one cares, because health class sucks, and because school sells it so clearly it ain't no big deal. If a school does not sell soda, that changes the landscape a little bit.

Iced Tea, Lemonade, whatever, they aren't much better than soda and I also wouldn't mind if they were banned. Soda definitely should be, though. If kids want soda, they could buy it after school, after getting through their academic day drinking something that actually hydrates them (soda won't do that) and doesn't make them crash later.

*Even in college. I am trying so hard not to rage right now.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

[/QUOTE] Iced Tea, Lemonade, whatever, they aren't much better than soda and I also wouldn't mind if they were banned. Soda definitely should be, though. If kids want soda, they could buy it after school, after getting through their academic day drinking something that actually hydrates them (soda won't do that) and doesn't make them crash later. [/QUOTE]

Well even if schools don't sell soda kids bring in soda in their lunch. So if anything if their not gonna sell it, ban it. I totally agree with just about everything owl said. I also think that schools should sell different drinks than just milk and water as a said earlier,

~Anonymous~
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 PM View Post #19 (Link)
pendell (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3
Of course they should! Children should be able to drink a can of Coca-Cola at lunch or whenever they feel stressed in the middle of the day. It's not going to single-handedly make a child obese, and it's not going to mess up their ability to focus in class, so long as thy pair it with some other healthy snack or a healthy meal. For children, soda is a psychological aid. It helps to relieve stress. It's like a drug, except it won't give you lung cancer.
Where I live, soda has already been replaced by Jamba Juice, the most disgusting "smoothie" brand ever. Even though I never really drank soda before, this change angers me. For me, it's not the need for coke that angers me, it's the principle of not being able to do anything as other people decide what's best for you and take away things that used to make others happy.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Comparing soda to drugs is not winning you any favors in this argument. The fact that children, in your view, have a psychological dependency on soda is disturbing and all the more reason to NOT have soda in schools.