Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-24-2016, 04:31 PM View Post #1 (Link) Fifty Shades of grey
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9

Fifty Shades of Grey
by EL James, part one of the trilogy
I would start by saying--the books was a piece of...crapy fanfiction? many of you are aware of it and I am writing it now since it's it was the latest book I have read and I couldn't read it before as when it was in the market I was too small to be able to read
(2011)
So first of all the plot, which to me, matters a lot, it was...if we see the structure, it is absolutely straight simple flowing smoothly, it was like reading a relationship develop, that too in the oddest of the ways and by the end there finally happens something that is not exactly what a reader can predict (very much like twilight),
I really wouldn't want to get to the similarities with twilight since I detected some word to word copied phrases along with the characters, the unrealistic setting of places, the never ending admiration for the male protagonist, the wimpy, plain, timid and left speechless by the so-called heroes.
Secondly, the characters I have a list of objections for this, firstly 'the controlled freak' Christian Grey, I couldn't really succeed at forcing myself to sympathy for him when Anastasia spoke of what happened to him as a fifteen-year-old and what so ever it can't make a person become both a calmed stupid and a psychopath at the same time. Thirdly is what he does is anything beyond the doings of a....a (whatever you call a person who has loads of dirt in mind and still there are idiotic philosophical sayings to prove him innocent or worth any compassion. Lastly the description of his appearance, I felt a little odd reading praises since when first I came to know his hair colour and the 'blazing' gaze what came to my mind was an engine of an ancient train, it all together made me hate the female lead for over and over admiring him. Now Ana Steele, a worse version of Bella Swan, She could hardly give an idea of what was the mentality of the male lead, all was there were the detailed looks, overly adored actions and so on. Ana claims herself a misfit and extraordinarily simple if said about the personality and the repeatedly used words like oh my wow holy crap they were fine to be used a little but they were there after every doing of Christian Grey, however, I liked the idea of the inner goddess, it was fun to read how someone 'normal' would react, in fact, hell will Ana, the subconsciousness was much better.
Lastly, the writing, I as a kid don't have a hint of the difference between good and bad writing but this was just trash, the grammar, the sentence structure and the impropriate words used. (An abused thesaurus)
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude