Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM View Post #1 (Link) What would you want your message as a writer to be?
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I recently changed my writing goals, and I never felt better. For the longest time I was rushing to get something published - anything - before the age of 25. I'm going to be 25 this March and of course I have utterly failed my goal.

So I had to sit back and reflect what I really wanted out of my writing.

I had an epiphany after reading The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. If you don't know the real-life story, Marina Keegan died only days after graduating college with a promising writing career ahead of her. Her stories were compiled and published posthumously.

I thought to myself, "If I were to die in only a couple days, what would I want people to read from me? What would I want my message for the world to be based on my writing?" I always had many ideas but I put many of them on hold halfway through because they were big projects that I had no patience for.

I went back to a story I benched for a while called The Demon Within. I realized I had a real passion for this new idea I had with it, blending history with fantasy.

I rewrote the entire 300-ish paged story in only two days. When I say rewrote, I mean REWROTE. Like I deleted the entire Part I of it and started from scratch. I completely devoted my time to it and it was the most amazing time I ever had writing in a very long time.

Not only did I rediscover my passion, but I found an amazing motivation to write - write as if you were to die tomorrow. Don't die midway into your speech.

So what's my message as a writer? Freedom. I've noticed that most, if not all, of my stories have an underlying theme of freedom. From religion, from government, from society, from illness, etc.

Last edited by ScottyMcGee; 02-18-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
That's a pretty interesting question that requires a good eye for self-analysis. I don't know how well I can answer it. I have general themes I'm interested in, but they don't always make it to the page, and I don't really want to force them to the page because I've tried that and failed at it.

Death is probably a big one. The life of soldiers after the war. Sex as a tool. Messed up kids.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
I don't know how I would like to be remembered, but I guess thematically I write about 'Loneliness, apathy, isolation and alienation' (boring overused themes? maybe this is the 'grand plan' of the story I'm writing, I at least but hints of these into my writing so far, 20,000 words in and I still don't know what the theme truly is, I don't even have a title - I take this title from a list made on Mubi where I realised that the films I has seen on the list I enjoyed and the films I hadn't seen, some of them I really want to, some of them I have ready to watch this week.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Mostly I write for fun. I write because I like it, and because it's exciting to pitch new ideas to my friends. I like exploring the language, and I like exploring new ideas (such as this one) by writing about them. It's only recently that I've really been thinking about "what if I got published."

I think my primary message/impact on the world won't be through writing at all-- it'll be through teaching. It'll be passed on to my students, and if I become a good teacher and can make a positive difference in just a few of their lives, it would be very rewarding.

That said, I have put so much thought and have so many grand ideas for what I wish my writing could tell the world. I've actually been trained a bit to look for messages in what I write-- my teachers called it the "big idea," how does what I'm saying relate to real people and the world? Some of the big things include success because of disabilities, rather than in spite of them and defining yourself as a person, not as someone who has a specific ability.

The hard part about this question is the dying in a couple days point. None of that stuff is written anywhere, and certainly won't be in a couple days. As of right now, I think my message for the world comes through much better in my nonfiction work, which I'm hoping would convey the message that communication is vital to learning and understanding. For fiction, perhaps I would like my message to be about embracing fear or finding a love of life and humanity within yourself.

Honestly, in the end, if my writing carried any positive message for someone else, ever-- if I inspire one person, if I make one person outside of family cry or laugh or think just once after I die, I would be pretty happy.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Write_Live_Read (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
Reading what others have written, I kind of see what they all mean and looking at what I write myself I believe that I write to express what I feel. There isn't really only one emotion or reason why I write, I just write. That being said I guess it can explain why I never really finished a story, since my mood changes everyday and I think of something new everyday.

However, I do want to use my writing as a way to teach others that they can be themselves and that they don't need to follow anyone. Does my writing convey that message right now? I don't think so but it gives me something to work towards. If I was to 'die tomorrow', I would hope that someone (even if it had to be my mom) felt touched. Now I'm not just saying I hope someone tells me that my writing touches them, I want someone to feel truly moved.

So to briefly put it, I want my writing to make people feel moved and I want them to learn that they can be themselves no matter what others say.

Honestly, in the end, if my writing carried any positive message for someone else, ever-- if I inspire one person, if I make one person outside of family cry or laugh or think just once after I die, I would be pretty happy
- totally agree with you Keladry.

"I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once"
-C.S. Lewis

"Reality continues to ruin my life"
-Bill Watterson

Thank you for reading, Good luck and continue writing.-Write_Live_Read
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 AM View Post #6 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
write as if you were to die tomorrow.
This reminds me of the saying, "Live your life to the fullest because you'll never know when it'll be gone."

To answer you question, I write to share my creativity with people. I've always had an amazing talent with making interesting stuff up compared to others, but putting them into coherent words instead of building a machine to plug my thoughts into others sounds easier. I'm still working on that goal of mine, which will be a very long goal for sure with how much I'm writing in the little amount of free time I have after and during school and homework.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 PM View Post #7 (Link)
pwhlee (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Through my writing I wish to convey to my readers that anything is possible.

And also good always triumphs over evil
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Syn (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 26
Originally Posted by pwhlee View Post
Through my writing I wish to convey to my readers that anything is possible.

And also good always triumphs over evil
So you like to lie to your readers?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
I would like to be remembered as a writer. Just a writer. I wouldn't want all the attention that this great teenage girl writer died. I would want to be remembered by those who have seen my work and nobody else. Because everyone that's seen it has given me good or bad. I don't wanna start another civil war because someone thought a piece of mine was good and someone else said it was bad. Yanno what I mean????

~Anonymous~
Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
"Goodbye, whole world. I'm leaving you in two days. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye. Goodby all you people, there's nothing I can tell to change your mind. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye..." P.F.

"I rewrote the entire 300-ish paged story in only two days."

Oh, man, are you sure you are not blending history with fantasy in this case?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 08-03-2016 at 03:18 PM.