Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 PM View Post #1 (Link) Moment Magazine is collecting stories about Night!
Thomas (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hey,

my name is Thomas, I´m 19 years old,and a German fellow at Moment Magazine, a publication that was founded by Elie Wiesel more than 40 years ago.

I´m collecting stories of teenagers (ages 12-19) of all backgrounds for a mini-symposium for our next print issue!

Ari Bloomekatz wrote in The Washington Post, “Wiesel’s legacy in the United States, and in many parts of the world, is not about adults. It’s about children, about teenagers, and his impact on non-Jewish youths everywhere.” For many generations, in school or on their own, teenagers all over the world have learned about the Holocaust by reading Elie Wiesel's seminal memoir, Night.

Moment Magazine wants you, teenagers (ages 12-19) of all backgrounds, to tell us about your own experience reading Night, and how it influenced you.
Tell us your story in 300 words or less; select submissions may be contacted for follow-up interviews.

If you´re interested, then send your submissions or questions to tsiurkus@momentmag.com by August 10, 2016.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Best
Thomas
Old 08-03-2016, 06:21 PM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Thomas, it's clear that you just joined to ask for submissions. I'm not really comfortable with that; we have strict rules about not using this site for advertising. However, I'm leaving this thread up because I went to Moment's website and confirmed that you are actually on their staff.

Before you try to garner submissions, you need to assure us of a few things:

1) Do rights to submissions stay with their authors?

2) What is the end goal of this contest? It looks like submissions are being published in print, but will submitters be paid? Will all submissions being published include an interview, or at least notification that the submission has been chosen?

3) Where on the Moment site could we find more information about this? I've looked, and there appears to be none. Moment is a big mag, so soliciting from internet forums through a staffer's email days before the deadline is unusual.

To anyone interested, here is a link to Moment's site: http://www.momentmag.com/
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Thomas (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hey lalodragon,

thanks for the follow-up.

It´s summertime and students are out of school. Therefor we are trying to reach out to teenagers in different ways, including online fora.

As mentioned in my initial post, this is going to be a mini symposium. Authors will have the chance to be a part of Moment´s tribute to it´s cofounder, Elie Wiesel. The authors won´t get paid.

The procedure looks as follows: Moment will review all submissions and will contact all the authors, whether their submissions were chosen or not. Then we will follow-up with a little interview and talk to selected authors about their opinion about Night. The text that will be published in Moment Magazine will be a mix of the author´s submission and the interview and will be edited by a Moment staff member.

Moment posted the call on facebook and had a pop-up on their website in the last days.

We extended the deadline. You can send in submissions until August 10th.

Best

Thomas
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Yeah, just a tip, as you're genuine: most forums, especially ones like this, have strict rules about people advertising, especially people who only join the site to advertise. I literally just banned a spammer for it. This is for a number of reasons, but mostly because it's very annoying and you're clearly not here to contribute to the site. This site only asks you to ask permission of a staff member to advertise, so it's polite to do so before posting. And be aware most other sites will also require you to either ask permission or confirm that what you're advertising is genuine and not misleading to members before posting. It might sound like more work for you, but it'll save you getting these kind of responses from staff on sites, instead of the desired responses you want about your contest from people interested in submitting.