Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM View Post #1 (Link) help :(
ambitious.xx (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Sometimes I read my work and I don't know if it is good enough. I never know what I am missing. Any tips on improving writing and making sure that it's perfect?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
You would have to give us details on what you think isn't working. Otherwise we can only really give vague advice. Also, posting your writing to the site would allow people to critique it and maybe give you insight on what precisely isn't working.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:07 AM View Post #3 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I second what Dabs said. Writing is never perfect since it's the audience that judges, unlike math that has an absolute answer.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:57 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
I have some vague advice, that may or not be helpful. You could try reading your work out loud, paying attention to what sounds awkward or unnatural. Also, the more you read and write, the better your writing tends to get. One thing I do after I read something I've written for the first time is I compile a list of possible problems (usually questions like "Is this character developed enough?"), and then, when I send it to friends I trust who can provide me wit honest feedback, I see if they ask the same questions. If you're concerned about characterization, it helps to ask yourself if your protagonist is relatable, what are his/her wants and desires, and what is at stake for him/her.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:52 PM View Post #5 (Link)
ollieread (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
It may help to have others read through your work. If you're self conscious and worried about becoming disheartened by their feedback, find some people that you trust. People that you know wouldn't be out to ruin something for you, it'll help a great deal if some of the feedback is negative, because you'll know that there is no malicious intent behind what they're saying.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:27 PM View Post #6 (Link)
phoniexbird (Offline)
Novice Writer

That's why this website has been made. To help writers improve on their writing. I suggest posting a story or to and take that feedback to help improve on other stories. But remember, anyone who wants to suceed, goes through failure. Take any negativity to the positive.

phoniexbird
Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
One more tip as to how improve your writing:
having finished your story, novel, poem whatever don't persevere in editing at once. Of course, you should reread your writing once or twice to correct most obvious mistakes, okay, but be patient, put aside your precious writing and forget about it for a week (or two) When this time expires reread it with fresh eyes and you'll see all bugs, cockroaches, bedbugs, weeds, all those things that seek to let your writing down.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 10-15-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Zoey141 (Offline)
Novice Writer

“Bad writers tend to have the self-confidence, while the good ones tend to have self-doubt,” Charles Bukowski once said.

I know how depressing it can get sometimes...

That saidm platforms like YWO are a blessing. Share your story with the rest of us. Sometimes, feedback really gets you going.

Don't worry. A bend in the road is not the end of the road
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Charles1990 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I had the same problem. I think that it's all about your confident.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM View Post #10 (Link)
DavidButt (Offline)
Novice Writer

Give to read your work to family, friends. Let them say their point of view