Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 AM View Post #1 (Link) Should THAAD be removed from South Korea?
Bluebushes (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Recently, as a topic in my Policy debate, the THAAD deployment has come up. I'm no expert on this, but just looking for people's stances on it, so here goes.

(Forgive me for my possible ignorance on the topic, just my brief understanding)
So the larger picture of this is to stop or deter nuclear development in North Korea. Sanctions have been placed on NK, but aren't working to their full potential. A large reason for that is because the PRC is not upholding them and are still interacting with NK. They are large financial allies and if China were to break ties with NK, it would have a large impact. NK could no longer sufficiently supply/fund their nuclear programs and development, ultimately deterring NK's nuclear power. So US China relations are going to be tested between the NK and PRC relations. The US wants to strengthen the US China relation to deter NK nuclear development, so that brings us to the THAAD topic...

Big arguments of the AFF team is the removal of THAAD would increase China's trust of the US, whereas the NEG team argue China can't turn away from NK.

So please post your stance on it, hopefully a debate will be going!