Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM View Post #1 (Link) Should Gym Teachers be worried about the students weights?
horselover913 (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
In gym, the teachers are always telling us that we need to watch our weights and telling us to eat salads all the time. I think they shouldn't be able to do that! I mean there are girls and guys that are insecure about their weight and they do stuff that they shouldn't do, like food depriving themselves! Gym teachers are NOT helping that! They basically sat us down and told us we need to lose weight! What do you guys think?

Charles Dickens 'A Tale of Two Cities'
Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 86
I'm kind of fatso, I was a single guy in the high school, in our class at least, who had no girlfriend. So, it was high time to think up something to diminish my weight.
I never heard my gym teacher say anything about my weight. He neither recommend me some or other diet, nor he advised me to go in for sport. It was total disinterest of the opposite sex that motivated me to begin physical training. I heard some guys say, looks doesn't matter. Maybe, idk, but I had an experience that convinced me of the opposite. I agree with you that it is none of gym teachers business to mess with their students' weight, unless a student asks for advice or some kind of help. I think, a guy or a girl having the problem of overwheight should make a decision by himself (herself) how to deal with the problem or whether to regard their weight as a problem at all
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 02-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:02 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I'm more a fan of using positivity when confronting issues like this. Gym teachers should be concerned about your health. That's the point of having gym, basically--to participate in activities that are healthy, and to talk about health to a certain extent. But just sitting you down and telling you you need to lose weight probably isn't doing much of anything--at least, anything good. These are authority figures who carry a certain amount of respect. They should be mindful of that, and of the fact that there's a good deal of popular media that emphasizes very thin body types, for women, and very lean/muscular body types, for men, and is unrelenting in that emphasis. It's generally not a good idea to align yourself with that. Not that I think that's what these teachers intended, but if you're not careful with your word choice that's what's going to happen.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM View Post #4 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Weight's generally a bad indicator of health. Weight is mostly relative according to the gravitational pull of the planet and also other factors. There can be many slim people who are actually more unhealthy than bigger people.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 PM View Post #5 (Link)
MYAnna_M (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 0
Personally, I think gym teacher's have no right to tell you to watch your weight and eat salads. While they're promoting health, the health they're promoting is physical activity not nutrition. Go to Health class for nutrition.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:51 PM View Post #6 (Link)
horselover913 (Offline)
Idea Scribe

I can see where you all are coming from, but to directly tell insecure teenagers word for word," You need to start losing weight. You are going to be extremely unhealthy if you eat too much!" is too harsh and definitely not the right way to tell INSECURE TEENAGERS this! I almost fell for it until I realized that I don't have to stop eating the amount of food I eat. That I could just exercise and eat healthier. But telling young girls that they need to check their weight EVERYDAY is just unnecessary and uncalled for!

Last edited by horselover913; 04-15-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Reason: misspelled words
Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 PM View Post #7 (Link)
MYAnna_M (Offline)
Idea Scribe

I absolutely agree. I went and starved myself and made myself throw up, before I realized the same thing.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 PM View Post #8 (Link)
horselover913 (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Are you okay? That is very unfortunate, as you seem to be a nice person. I am glad someone see's it my way, though. No matter what people say, weight is different for everyone, and you aren't always heavier than everyone else because of eating too much, or being unhealthy. It just seems stupid to tell us what we should weigh.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM View Post #9 (Link)
MYAnna_M (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Yes, I'm all good now! It was tough, but I'm through it. Thanks for asking. There's some days where those negative weight thoughts drift around, but I now just ignore them. And yes, weight is different for everyone. You should not be reprimanded about losing weight by a teacher, for sure.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Bluebushes (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Agreeing with you, gym teachers shouldn't be telling students to lose weight. Even if they are doing physical education, it doesn't mean they can criticize your body and say how to keep it to their standards. I believe they should simply allow you to get the exercise needed daily and let the student be the one in concern of their own body.