Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-05-2016, 05:37 AM View Post #1 (Link) Victor LaValle's Plot and Character Worksheet
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
So, this is a worksheet that my teacher Victor LaValle likes to use to help us focus how we think about our writing in terms of character, structure, and plot.

1) World/Environment

2) Cast

3) Protagonist
a) Ghost
b) Weakness
1) Psychological (Internal)
2) Moral (External)
c) Need
d) Desire -

4) Inciting Incident

5) Ally/Allies

6) Opponents

7) Revelation 1

8) Revelation 2

9) Revelation 3

10) Final Confrontation

11) Self-Revelation

12) Conclusion

Obviously this is nothing revolutionary, but it can be helpful to have all of this stuff laid out for you when you're thinking about the story and/or book you're writing. Not all stories will conform to this format, either, but it's kind of surprising how many of them do, regardless of how conventional or experimental they are, and regardless of who wrote them.

I wanted to post it here because I think it's important for younger writers to think about things like this, in part to de-mystify the writing process, and in part to get them thinking about writing on a structural level.

Also, this isn't really intended to be applied to the first draft of a story--unless you're the kind of person who needs more extensive outlines before diving in. I, myself, like to know points 1-6, and then point 10 before heading into a story (though I don't need point 10 as much as the others). Please, use this as you like. Don't force yourself to conform to it, but consider the fact that these elements do, often, make for effective story telling.

If you want to know a little more about Victor, because he is a very cool guy, go: here and here.