Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-27-2016, 05:20 PM View Post #1 (Link) Why is there a public education system in Hunger Games?
addictedtoreading (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 45
I think out of most of the YA dystopian genre, the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins has the most literary value per say. Its actually being taught in college english courses at my school.

My point is, at the beginning of the novel Katniss introduces us to the District 12 slum, the Seam, which according to her description is a place where food is extremely scarce and the people live in poverty. Whats interesting though, is that despite this extreme poverty and class stratification between the seam and the 'Merchants', Katniss details a government funded public education system very similar to what is seen in Canada/USA today.
My question is, why? If the Seam is as bad as it is described as (and can be compared to the slums of India or Rio or even the shanty towns of the USA) how can it
1) fund a public education system
2) if the Capitol funds the education system, then why do they? These people are the peasants of the peasants, here, in many ways the economic structure of Hunger Games is similar to the feudal system of medieval Europe, so why bother educating the basically, slaves, who's only job is to mine the mines?
3) the Capitol is so concerned about a rebellion that they host the Hunger Games to discourage it, but yet they actively educate the people they oppress, once you give people the tools to read and write then you give them power-so why educate these people you want to keep, basically enslaved?
4) and if class stratification is seen so strongly in the Seam (Katniss's mother and sister have different color hair, inherited from Katniss's mother's 'merchant' side of the family) then HOW could a public education system exist without undermining the class system (if the poor are so looked down on, yet they are allowed to go to school with their superiors?)
5) also if these families are so destitute how can they afford to send their kids away when they could be used at home/or sent to jobs

I'm just curious what you people think

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any comments or questions, I'm always happy to talk about anything reading or writing related. If you want me to look at your writing just ask!
It is not hard to write what one feels as truth. It is damned hard to live by it.
-Eugene O'Neil to Alexander Berkman
I am also a major Tumblr addict and have a collection of quotes (reblogged and stockpiled over the course of five years) that you are welcome to peruse
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 21
Not to be dismissive, but isn't it obvious?

So that Collins can get all those YA readers to relate.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
So first off, basically what 2sh4r said.

Second, it's "per se" because it's latin and I'm a jerk.

Third, how much of this school system is defined? I've only read the first book, and that was quite some time ago, but does Suzanne Collins ever go into detail about what kind of things Katniss is learning? Because you know what other heavily-dictated dystopia has a state-funded compulsory education system? North Korea. They've had it for about fifty years now, and there's not been any sign that things inside North Korea are getting any more revolutionary (as far as they allow us to see, that is).

Education is a powerful thing. You can do a lot with a population if you're the one that's controlling what they know and what they believe to be truth. Uneducated peasants are the ones who start to question why they're the bottom of the compost pile, especially when their children get carted off to kill each other once a year. It's the folk who've been educated by the overlords that know the overlords will always be the rulers, and it's the peasant's role to support them (in other words, the Capitol is the Capitol, and we're just a poor district that deserves to be poor because we had the gall to try and rise against the Capitol before). It doesn't matter if your people can read and write if the only things they can read are about how great your rule is.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM View Post #4 (Link)
AussieNick (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
The education system in Panem (the fictional country in the Hunger Games universe) is only pretty vaguely described from what I remember, so maybe I should re-read the books sometimes. But one detail I remember is Katniss describing everything to be coal-related (e.g. coal-based math questions). From this it's plausible to suggest that the education system in each district is related to that district's purpose as a way to remind them of what their role is.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
The less we have illiterate and brainwashed people in the world the less we will hear about strange people blowing themselves up with terrifying "Allah Akbar" in the midst of normal innocent people.
  Keep in obedience illiterate people? That won't work given the dashing development of technology and science. If human brains are not filled with education and knowledge, this empty space will be filled by the other material and by other( not very kind and humanistic) teachers.
P.S.
Your chatty Agricola is going to be your president and build a high wall to defend Americans from invasion of wild illiterates and their medieval aggression. But all they need is love and education. Let's remember what happened to the wall constructed by Agricola and Severus, what happened to The Great Chinese Wall. The idea of solving the problem by merely constructing a wall is a bullshit.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
I don't really get the literary value from the film.
Well, for starters, Katniss doesn't even look like she's coming out of slums.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:32 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Awwal (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Public education systems are actually a means of injecting idealogies into young minds in a way that doesn't attract any scrutiny.
Send your kids to school for more than half a day for the most part of their lives so they can only think in a manner related to what they have been programmed.
This is just my thoughts.