Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 PM View Post #1 (Link) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Anyone seen the film? Read the screenplay? Thoughts, opinions?

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm planning to see it with Lizzie next weekend. I have however bought the screenplay, despite convincing myself it's nothing but the franchise trying to cash in as much as possible. What other film gets its screenplay published as a book anyway?

I'm not far in, but already the writing is a hundred times better than Cursed Child and so very plainly JKR's work. Her characters, the descriptions, the little details, the dialogue, the world -- everything feels right and her. I had a lot of feelings about Cursed Child and none of them were positive, and I don't intend to ever see the play itself. In my opinion CC is nothing but seriously overhyped fanfiction that JKR has no real choice but to endorse, which would also maybe explain why she's been so eager to be in control of the scriptwriting for Fantastic Beasts. But Fantastic Beasts seems intriguing so far and I'm really excited to see the film. I have an annoying condition that means loud noises cause me pain, so it's actually really useful to have read the screenplay first and be able to still know what's going on/being said if I'm having to block my ears from the noise.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:08 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I saw the movie. It was okay. Tightly written. Characterization was generally lacking. Newt and Tina, who are the real main characters, are pretty generic, especially Newt. Jacob and Creedence were the most interesting people in the film, and they both get shafted. Everyone laughed when Grindelwald appeared, and yeah, I was definitely on the same page as them. A pit opened in my stomach when I saw who was playing him.

It was pretty forgettable, mostly because there was just way too much plot and way too little character.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 PM View Post #3 (Link)
mmurloc (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Yeah. I actually do like Harry Potter especially when JR Rowling is the author and i would love to read this!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Zoey141 (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Watched the movie a couple of weeks back. It is directed by one of the Harry Potter directors - David Yates, and he has done total justice to the story. He understands Rowling's storytelling style thoroughly. I loved Jacob's character more than any other. I liked the movie. Haven't read the screenplay yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM View Post #5 (Link) The movie
Rebekah (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 4
I've seen the movie. It was alright, but a I prefer reading to watching films. I wasn't that interested in it.