SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM View Post #1 (Link) Publishers In The Uk
ZandaBayfield (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hello Everyone!

Im Zanda Bayfield And I Want To Be A Young Author

Im Currently Writing A Fantasy/Thriller Book And When Im Done I Want To Publish It.

Now I Live In The Uk So Are They Any Places That Can Publish My Book?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM View Post #2 (Link)
JessicaJoy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 30
Originally Posted by ZandaBayfield View Post
Hello Everyone!

Im Currently Writing A Fantasy/Thriller Book And When Im Done I Want To Publish It.

Thanks
Hi, i live in the UK too and have the same ambition with a book i'm writing at the moment. What i've learnt so far is that in order for a publisher to even look twice at your work, you'll want to have something published already. Even if it's just in a writing magazine or a Young Writers anthology. Then, if they like your book, the publishing process is very long and uncertain. I haven't actually found a publisher yet, but i know there are publishing advisers and agents online and reachable by telephone that could help set you up with a publishing agency.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM View Post #3 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
ZandaBayfield (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Thanks,

Do You Know Of Any Mags Where I Can Enter My Work?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM View Post #4 (Link)
JessicaJoy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 30
Thanks,

Do You Know Of Any Mags Where I Can Enter My Work?
There's a 'Young writers' magazine, they publish short stories, poems and art/photography quarterly. I've had a poem published, it's not too hard to have your work chosen as long as you've edited it yourself so there are no spelling, grammar mistakes. You need to buy a copy, possibly online, and it will have several writing workshops that you can enter, there is also a section for any poetry or short stories regardless of what they are about. You can send in one entry for every category if you want to, i'd suggest at least sending in two different pieces of writing to double your chance of it getting published.

There are also some online competitions, the prize being you get your work published. I'd look online, enter as many as you can.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Julian (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 78
Hello Everyone!

Thanks

Also, I am not being mean, but it doesn't help that you put capital letters on each start of the word--it's even detrimental, as people won't take you seriously. In fact, why do you type as such?

Oh, remember to include an apostrophe when you do personal pronoun-verb contractions. Nonstandard grammar in query letters is a big no-no.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM View Post #6 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
ZandaBayfield (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Okay Look I Type Like This And I Like It. If Your Not Going To Help Me With The Question Asked In The Title Then I Don't Want You To Reply.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Syn (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 26
Okay Look I Type Like This And I Like It. If Your Not Going To Help Me With The Question Asked In The Title Then I Don't Want You To Reply.
Technically, there is no question in the title.

But seriously, though, writing properly is in the rules (http://www.youngwritersonline.net/rules.php)

Also I'd like to point you to this: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/neologisms.aspx

You might think Julian's and this post aren't helping since they don't directly relate to your question, but that's only partially true. The thing is, even if you do find publishers/agents/editors/whatever, if you write to them in this manner, I'm pretty sure that they'll just ignore your letter. Using correct grammar in regular talk and writing is a very good way to improve some of the little quirks and faults people, including you, still have and it's a great way to flesh them out and correct them. It will do much good for your writing.

Now, as for your question, I suppose the first thing you should do once you write a manuscript is to find an agent. You could check out this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...erary_agencies
I would also suggest that you cross-reference those agencies here: http://pred-ed.com/pubabout.htm to see how well they behave.

You could also check out this guide here http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/real/ and in general the whole Writer Beware site is quite useful.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM View Post #8 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
ZandaBayfield (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I Must Say I Am Quite Offended By You Giving Me A Link To Grammar Site.

I Am Only 12 What Do You Expect?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102

We're not meaning to be rude, we're just meaning to say that if you don't want to use appropriate grammar on a writing site, then you probably shouldn't demand an answer and get a little touchy when we only mean to help.

I'd also like to point out that I was twelve when I joined this site last December and I did not type every word with a capital. I think we except that we will respect you as long you respect us.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74

My eyes hurt.

Closed Thread