Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM View Post #41 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 99
A brief, but helpful, list of the Australian magazine literary scene - you know, if you're into that down under kind of thing.

I'd also like to plug The Review Review as great hub of information to do with: journals (The Review Review reviews them), interviews and (publishing/writing) tips. The publishing tips are really helpful for somebody trying to find a footing.

Last edited by Spacepirate; 04-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM View Post #42 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Nature publishes one short-story a week-- science related, read sci-fi-- and they tend to be really crappy. Which is a shame since Nature is such a big important nice (incomprehensible) magazine.
But this would be a really cool place to be published.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM View Post #43 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
Nature publishes one short-story a week-- science related, read sci-fi-- and they tend to be really crappy. Which is a shame since Nature is such a big important nice (incomprehensible) magazine.
But this would be a really cool place to be published.
Can you link us to one? I usually just read Nature for work/school (those articles become comprehensible with time and practice if they're in your field - promise!) and I don't think I've ever stumbled across fiction there ... granted I'm not usually looking for it.

Nature (and Science, and Cell, and to a lesser extent PNAS) is the New Yorker of science.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM View Post #44 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 99

You're in desperate need of UK poetry.

The Poetry Library in Southbank Centre do two very nice lists of poetry markets, primarily UK based. One is what they call 'live journals' i.e. magazines that they stock, here. I see a lot of familiar names. There's also an online list but I'm not how most of them match, quality-wise.

They also do a non-exhaustive, but still supremely helpful, section on UK book publishers (large, small, online press) here.

Last edited by Spacepirate; 04-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 PM View Post #45 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Can you link us to one? I usually just read Nature for work/school (those articles become comprehensible with time and practice if they're in your field - promise!) and I don't think I've ever stumbled across fiction there ... granted I'm not usually looking for it.

Nature (and Science, and Cell, and to a lesser extent PNAS) is the New Yorker of science.
They call them "Futures"; here's the current issue. (I haven't read this one.) They're the very last page, where they used to have Backscatter images (unless I'm confusing this with another mag).
Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 PM View Post #46 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Bumpity dump dump.
I'm looking into submitting, so I made a spreadsheet of my favourite poetry-accepting journals. Isis' shortlist from a few years back includes a lot of now-dead journals, so I sorted through and added in and am currently at 68 and growing. Come read my snarky and often useless comments!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Side note: anyone else currently looking at publishing and maybe interested in reviving the bootcamp?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:27 PM View Post #47 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 142
Let's revive bootcamp, just for the fun of it?

I've started sending out a few things. I have a small list of publications I'd like to send out to, still. I'll message a few, and if you enjoy them, perhaps you can add them to your awesome list.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 AM View Post #48 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 21
What is this bootcamp thing I keep hearing of?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM View Post #49 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Raconteur View Post

I've started sending out a few things. I have a small list of publications I'd like to send out to, still. I'll message a few, and if you enjoy them, perhaps you can add them to your awesome list.
Yes!

Last edited by lalodragon; 06-12-2016 at 02:27 AM.