Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM View Post #11 (Link)
YorkshireTea (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Okay infinity_man I'm new to this forum so forgive me for not being able to quote. Probably doesn't help that I'm using my kindle fire instead of a laptop either.

I was just referring to you saying that they shouldn't respond at all if they disagree. I guess it's pointless if the person is saying "no you're just wrong because I said so" but what I mean is, even if they completely disagree with your point, if they can explain why they've used a particular technique/word/scene, at least in talking about it, both the critic and writer can think about what effect the writer wanted.
I'll give another example. Say you gave me a critique and you said I should cut out a scene and I said I wanted to keep it for a certain effect, then you could then say oh well if that's what you were wanting to do, then I think instead of changing that bit, you should develop that idea here and here and here etc. I mean, even if I still ignored your advice, you'll have made me think about the way I'm crafting my writing and as long as it's not hostile I don't really see a problem with that.

Unless you actually mean those people who say they want a critique but in fact they just want to be told they're amazing. In which case, those people shouldn't even ask for a critique.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by YorkshireTea View Post
I'll give another example. Say you gave me a critique and you said I should cut out a scene and I said I wanted to keep it for a certain effect, then you could then say oh well if that's what you were wanting to do, then I think instead of changing that bit, you should develop that idea here and here and here etc. I mean, even if I still ignored your advice, you'll have made me think about the way I'm crafting my writing and as long as it's not hostile I don't really see a problem with that.
That's true. I didn't really consider it that way, so you've got me there.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 86
I think this article must be always at hand of newbies, moreover, I, being far from a newbie status, did read it with interest.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 09-27-2016, 10:05 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Haha!
6, 7, 8 excuses are the most I've made and heard!