Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM View Post #1 (Link) Fictional Q&A
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
Hey guys! So I was inspired to make this little activity. I think it'll help to decide who your character is and what areas you should work on. Here's how it works: You choose a character from one of your stories, and you give us a brief description of who he/she is. (Put the character's name in the title of your post.)

Each character has to receive three questions before someone else can take their place. That's it!

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point

Last edited by MonaLon; 03-12-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
(Moving this from "Literary Discussion" to "Exercises")

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:55 PM View Post #3 (Link)
ThatPsycho (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
This sounds like an interesting activity, so I suppose I'll go first.

Violet Moore:

She is a 16 year old girl who is out-going, fun-loving, seemingly confident and overly rebellious. She hates school and being told what to do so spends most of her time messing about, being the class clown and rebelling for the sake of rebelling - not doing work, going out of her way to annoy the teachers she hates and ignoring all the uniform rules. Her image is very important to her as she feels it allows her to express herself - she has a neon blue mohawk, several piercings and enjoys wearing a lot of black - so she can get angry if anyone tells her to change how she looks. A lot of the time, she can go too far when she's messing around and can become annoying. She is often aware of this but still carries on as she doesn't really know when to stop, which can get her into a lot of trouble, but she tries not to think about her flaws too much because thinking about them upsets her. Despite sometimes being annoying, she can be very friendly and will stick up for her friends whenever she can.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
What's the point in rebelling for it's own sake? What does that accomplish but irritating and frustrating people who's lives are just as important and complex as your own?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:06 AM View Post #5 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
Do a lot your friends ignore your rebellious antics, or do they get frustrated after a while?

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Where exactly do you see yourself in your thirties?

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM View Post #7 (Link)
ThatPsycho (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
What's the point in rebelling for it's own sake? What does that accomplish but irritating and frustrating people who's lives are just as important and complex as your own?
"You could say that." She grins. "But it's fun, and it makes things like school a lot more bearable. A lot of my teachers are rude and horrible, so I like to get a reaction from them and irritate them."

Originally Posted by MonaLon View Post
Do a lot your friends ignore your rebellious antics, or do they get frustrated after a while?
"My friends think it's funny." She laughs. "Some people in my class get annoyed at me, but I don't really care. I don't care what they think."

Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
Where exactly do you see yourself in your thirties?
"Ooh, good question." She says, but then her smile falters and she looks as though she is feeling nervous for a while. "I'm not too sure, to be honest. It's not something I like to think about. Maybe I could be in a band or something..."
Her smile returns, but she doesn't look as enthusiastic as she did before.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM View Post #8 (Link) Charlie Dusk
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
He is a 19 year old boy, stuck in the forested part of an island, which is under the dictatorship of a tyrant. He is curious about the island's past and how it got to the pathetic state it is in now. Yet, his father keeps quiet about anything to do with this and the formation of the four tribes. Charlie wants to be able to go out into that part of the island which is now known as the Devastation and again, his father does not allow him to do so. Charlie is also averse to the frequent raids that the tribes engage in and the execution of the people who are known as the Survivors.

Character-wise, Charlie is generally a fun-loving guy who can be pretty childish and seemingly immature at times. But, he is versatile and is able to adapt to adverse situations.

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Why exactly are the island's past and the Devastation so appealing to to Charlie?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM View Post #10 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Why exactly are the island's past and the Devastation so appealing to to Charlie?
"It isn't exactly appealing, actually," Charlie says, "It's more like I've been living here for so many years, stuck in this tiny corner of the island and learning nothing about the island's history. All we've ever been told is that there's a desert out there and well, we don't need to know a damn thing about it. I mean, come on, it's getting on my nerves. Why can't these adults just tell us about it? Ugh, I guess curiosity's getting the better of me. Yeah, that's it. Curiosity. That's why the island's past is so appealing to me."

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.