Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM View Post #11 (Link)
ThatPsycho (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
What lengths would Charlie be prepared to go to in order to learn about the island's past?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
If Charlie was given a last meal on death row, what would he order? (Be very specific)

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM View Post #13 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
Does Charlie think peace is possible between the four tribes?

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 AM View Post #14 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
Originally Posted by ThatPsycho View Post
What lengths would Charlie be prepared to go to in order to learn about the island's past?
"Ooh! I've been thinking over that for quite some time now. I've been thinking of getting past my dad's security and going to the other tribes. I'm hoping I can find out about the island's past from there," Charlie begins to scratch his head, "Come to think of it now, I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get my answers. Maybe, I should just keep asking dad for information. He's bound to tell me something sometime."

Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
If Charlie was given a last meal on death row, what would he order? (Be very specific)
"Oh, that's a tricky one. I'll have to think about this," Charlie closes his eyes and thinks deeply, "I'm going to be very specific now. I'd probably go for five, no six, pieces of steak with a chicken caesar salad topped with a French dressing. And then, I'd go for a nice caramel cake for dessert... Then again, if I'm on death row, I might not feel like eating all of this. Oh well, I'd still order this meal, whether I can eat it or not."

Originally Posted by MonaLon View Post
Does Charlie think peace is possible between the four tribes?
"Well, atleast, I hope so. I don't have much knowledge of the other tribes. I've never actually seen them or at the very least, I don't remember seeing them," Charlie begins to feel a heat grow inside of him as anger rises, "It's all that dictator's fault. If he goes, there'll be peace on the island, I know it. If only the four tribes could get together and fight as one." Charlie gets up. "I've got to go talk to my dad about this."

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Monica is a former business woman, aged forty-seven. She spent most of her life dedicating herself to her ambition and the operations of her business (she owned a chain of delis, not unlike 7/11). She recently sold the business for a heft sum of money and is, essentially, worth a few million. Now no longer needing to make money and with her life's work behind her, she's realizes that she really has nothing to do. Further, she realizes that she is completely indifferent to her husband and that she only married him because it was something she was supposed to do, something that improved her image. Even worse, she realizes that she had a child with him for much the same reason. However, unlike with her husband, she does feel unconditional love for her son, but she doesn't really understand him as a person/know what to make of him.

Monica wants to find a connection with her son and discover something to fill the place her ambitions used to occupy in her (basically fill the hole in her heart, if you wanna get simple about it).

At the moment she's a bit frail, a bit overwhelmed by the sudden shift and rush of emotions since her life slowed down. But her instinctual habits, as of now, have her prone to confrontation, succinctness, the occasional ass-kissing, and utilitarianism.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM View Post #16 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
According to Monica, what exactly is her idea of an activity that would fill the empty space her ambitions had occupied? Why doesn't she pursue a similar ambition?

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
What drove Monica to sell her delis in the first place? Was her ambition really just to make as much money off of them as possible, or was it hard for her to give up her life's work? What kind of conversation went through Monica's mind in trying to come to a decision? (I know this is several questions, but they're all pointing at the real question I want to ask but can't articulate)

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM View Post #18 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Can Monica learn to love her husband, or does she just not feel anything for him?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 AM View Post #19 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by RockerBunny View Post
According to Monica, what exactly is her idea of an activity that would fill the empty space her ambitions had occupied? Why doesn't she pursue a similar ambition?
"I don't know... Golfing! Bowling! Sex! If I had the answer I wouldn't be asking the question, would I?"

Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
What drove Monica to sell her delis in the first place? Was her ambition really just to make as much money off of them as possible, or was it hard for her to give up her life's work? What kind of conversation went through Monica's mind in trying to come to a decision? (I know this is several questions, but they're all pointing at the real question I want to ask but can't articulate)
"You go into business to be successful, and to sell yours for a few million is, unless you can get more, the pinnacle. When you sell it, when you're a millionaire and you never have to worry about statistics and tactics and strategies--you've found the dream. Arrived, as some might call it.

"The first few steps were easy. It was something I was supposed to do, something logical. I was following a proven path. So I just went through the motions without realizing how empty the 'after' might be. The process in and of itself was engrossing and kept me busy, so I didn't quite have the time to... experience... what the absence might feel like."

Originally Posted by MonaLon View Post
Can Monica learn to love her husband, or does she just not feel anything for him?
"Sal isn't an unkind man. He'd be more appeasing with a bit more hair on his head. He has his hobbies and his passions. He seems to have done an okay job raising our son. I suppose. His company isn't horrid. It may even be nice. I think I could see how some women might find him a great husband. I should be happy to be married to him."
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM View Post #20 (Link) Sara Tomboli
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Life has been a wild ride for this immortal. Clocking in at 1,817 years old, Sara has seen things that many could never imagine. She survived a horrible alien invasion called the Massacre which destroyed civilization for over two centuries. Sara even helped to end the killing. But that is behind her now.

What lies ahead? Well, Sara is now on her deathbed, hundreds of lightyears from Earth, after living a full life. Surprisingly, she's okay with this. Not many get to live as long as she did. There's nothing she can do about the disease that's eating away at her. All she can be now is grateful. She lost a lot of people along the way (her family, her friends), and now it's coming to an end.