Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 AM View Post #1 (Link) Slow Going
Write_Live_Read (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
He everyone,

So I just wanted to say that I've been on this site for a while now and I realized it is very slow going. The last day or two I came on, nothing changed. I feel like we need to up the enthusiasm and get everyone back on.

"I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once"
-C.S. Lewis

"Reality continues to ruin my life"
-Bill Watterson

Thank you for reading, Good luck and continue writing.-Write_Live_Read
Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 AM View Post #2 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Originally Posted by Write_Live_Read View Post
He everyone,

So I just wanted to say that I've been on this site for a while now and I realized it is very slow going. The last day or two I came on, nothing changed. I feel like we need to up the enthusiasm and get everyone back on.
I've been on the last few days as well, but I've seen newer posts per day. Sure, it's not fifteen or more posts, but it's gradual at the very least. Besides, writing is pretty time consuming unless you're very talented, which isn't what this website is directly looking for in its members.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by Write_Live_Read View Post
He everyone,

Trust me, we've noticed. This is actually better than it was just a month or two ago. We're all trying to be active on the site and us mods are trying to think of ways to attract more people to it.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
You think this is slow going? At least we're getting these 'Slow Going' threads again.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
We used to do a monthly spotlight feature. It lasted exactly two years actually--I'm pretty sure the first one was in November 2012 and the last one was the November that just passed. Anyway, if you want to see how much activity wavers (and, yes, has gone down in the last two years) you should look at how many stories got featured each month.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM View Post #6 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
We're all trying to be active on the site and us mods are trying to think of ways to attract more people to it.
ADS!

None of you were here when I did this years ago but I made a YWO ad for Youtube. Some new people came because of it.

I think another issue we have is that the site is. . . basically the same exact shit as when I released the ad. So it won't be anything "BRAND SPANKING NEW". We need a makeover. We need to look cool and hip, yo.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:09 AM View Post #7 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
ADS!

None of you were here when I did this years ago but I made a YWO ad for Youtube. Some new people came because of it.

I think another issue we have is that the site is. . . basically the same exact shit as when I released the ad. So it won't be anything "BRAND SPANKING NEW". We need a makeover. We need to look cool and hip, yo.
You make a valid point, Scotty. I've talked with a few of my friends from high school about how I'm looking for writing help on this website, and they were genuinely interested to check it out. I bet if we had even more to post on the Facebook page and other social media sites, we can share the awareness here.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 141
All valid points. The site needs a makeover.

For now, we can try to revitalize what we already have, though.

And, as I recall, we were talking about a newsletter, so there's that to consider. A good place to start up the spotlight.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:52 PM View Post #9 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Do you necessarily need to be a mod/admin in order to get in on some serious talk about spicing up the site? What if we have a special committee or something dedicated to styling it up?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 141
No, you do not. If you have ideas or want to help out, you're more than welcome to participate as a general member. That's the point of a community anyway, right?

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.