Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 AM View Post #1 (Link) I Dislike That Some People Nitpick EVERYTHING!
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I'm in the mood to argue my point across with valid counterarguments on my side, so let's begin.

My Argument: People shouldn't nitpick every little aspect they can grasp on unless...
1. It's contradicting to what's given. For example, "Let's look at this crystal ball," but this "crystal ball" is actually a wooden cube. This is fine to nitpick because it's a genuine mistake from the director/author/scriptwriter/etc.
2. It's harmful to the audience. For example, a TV show for children has tons of bright, flashing lights, which may cause photosensitive epilepsy! It's good to nitpick this scenario because the lights are detrimental for viewers.

My Reasons: If someone nitpicks everything, they're removing the pleasure, experience, and immersion of whatever entertainment that person is receiving.

Note: When I mean, everything, I do, literally, mean everything. Here's a short scene to demonstrate. "Gary steps out of the convenience store after his grocery shopping. He sets the bags in his bike's basket and rides home." This nitpicker that I described would say the following:
1. "Why did he buy from a convenience store instead of the grocery store?"
2. "Why is he on a bike instead of in a car?"
3. "Why would he put the bags in a basket instead of something safer?"
This whole example may sound extreme to a few of you, but my high school has a lot of these guys, and I hate talking with them about the entertainment I experience because they continually question me on little things like this.

My Counterarguments: Yes, asking questions is good for getting answers, but most of the time, entertainment will explain itself in due time if it's reasonable. It would ruin foreshadowing, cliffhangers, and audience-inferring endings if the explanations were immediately after. Wanting to understand more than what the average viewer/reader defeats the purpose of subjective creativity. If a person wants to know everything about something, they should look at an encyclopedia or even do the research themselves if they've got time to ask out loud. Would this be a nice way to socialize with others? No, it'd be the opposite, unless these other people are also nitpickers, because spoiling someone by giving away answers that the audience would learn later is cheap and being constantly asked while not knowing the answers would be annoying because there's nothing this person can do to answer, which apparently, the nitpicker doesn't get that idea yet.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I don't know if anyone's going to disagree with you on this.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM View Post #3 (Link)
han123 (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 42
I think the majority of the people on this site came here to learn about and improve their writing, and I greatly appreciate all the people who are nit picky, because while Its not always what the writer wants to hear, it's what they need to hear to get better. I just think of it as them trying to help me, because on the internet we cant see peoples faces and it can come across that there being nasty. There not.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
I don't know if anyone's going to disagree with you on this.
Then you don't know me at all, Dabs.

Just kidding. I generally agree with Geo's sentiment, but I disagree with his use of "nitpicking." Nitpicking is focusing in on really tiny, almost insignificant flaws. The key word there is flaws. If someone is asking questions like "Why is he on a bike instead of a car?" which is NOT pointing out a flaw, but is instead a lack of understanding of the fact that other people might not know how to drive or own a car, is not nitpicking. That's just stupid. As someone who nitpicks quite often, and has nitpicked your own writing, Geo, I'm a bit offended you'd lump me in with people who make ignorant observations.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:44 AM View Post #5 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
As someone who nitpicks quite often, and has nitpicked your own writing, Geo, I'm a bit offended you'd lump me in with people who make ignorant observations.
Sorry about that, Infinity_Man! I was not aware of the difference in "nitpicking" and "ignorantly observing." I definitely don't think you're a nitpicker, man, but at least you know what I truly meant.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Nitpicking is good in certain places. Obviously that's how I critique. It's less fun when it's brought into certain other contexts, and I feel like that's what Geo was getting at.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 PM View Post #7 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Oh God dude, you'd hate my boss. My boss is like seriously OCD. He spends money on being nitpicky.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
I hate nitpicky people. Like oh John your tie doesn't go with your suit. Like WHO CARES!! I'm with you. Unless it's nessacary or a logical mistake or harmful I HATE HATE HATE Nitpickers

~Anonymous~

Last edited by Softballgirl333; 05-07-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Pineappleinshades (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 9
Oh, I like people being nitpicky with my work because even if it's just about where my character puts his shopping bags, if a person critiquing me genuinely doesn't think a normal person would put them in the basket, then I should consider stuff like that. I want my characters to be believable after all. Or, it helps me develop my character, for example he likes taking risks, which is why he doesn't put his shopping somewhere safer, or maybe for some reason he doesn't like/is embarassed by what he bought and wants to lose/break it. I dunno, I just find nitpicking can often be quite helpful.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:40 PM View Post #10 (Link)
gardenwriter (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I hate nitpickers, they just cant tell you honestly that they dont like what you wrote, or anything idea that comes from.