Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by gardenwriter View Post
I hate nitpickers, they just cant tell you honestly that they dont like what you wrote, or anything idea that comes from.
Or maybe they're trying to help you by pointing out specifically what isn't working with your writing? If there's a lot that isn't working for them, you're going to see a lot of corrections. That's just how it works. Remember that there are two sides to each story and that people critique your writing to help you, not to hurt you.

If you were to post a story with loads of grammatical errors, plot holes, lack of characterization, and so on, would it really be helpful if I just wrote, "I don't like this."? That wouldn't communicate anything.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:17 AM View Post #12 (Link)
The Enchanted Muggle (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 20
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Or maybe they're trying to help you by pointing out specifically what isn't working with your writing? If there's a lot that isn't working for them, you're going to see a lot of corrections. That's just how it works. Remember that there are two sides to each story and that people critique your writing to help you, not to hurt you.

If you were to post a story with loads of grammatical errors, plot holes, lack of characterization, and so on, would it really be helpful if I just wrote, "I don't like this."? That wouldn't communicate anything.
yesyesyes! I'm quite the nitpicker when it comes to writing and I'm always scared that people will take my critiques too seriously or think that I'm being mean-spirited and that I hate their work and that's why I'm being so nitpicky.

But as a nitpicker myself, I can say that I'm never nitpicking to be a bitch or anything, but I'm afraid that someone will yell at me about how I'm a mean person and a bitch. No. If I was a mean person, I wouldn't spend 10 or 15 minutes on your work. Like Dabs said, I'm being nitpicky because I care about your improvement of your writing and want to help, but how can I help if I don't bring forth the problems that I see in your writing. Assuming that you wrote the piece to the best of your abilities, you'll never pick a problem out yourself because you don't think there are any, so someone else has to do it for you and give you feedback on it. Someone else who has another pair of lens on, so to speak, with which to view your writing. That's really what the writing community is all about. That's why you have job positions like writer, editor, market editor, business editor, agent, and stuff like that, to check things and call out the problems in need of fixing.

I'm lost with the real life non-writing scenarios though. I don't think I'm nitpicky outside of writing?
edit: I do get irked when someone says that they'll be "a bit" and to them "a bit" means hours on end because to me, "a bit" is like 50 minutes top. "a while" is slightly longer. If you're going to take more than three hours, say "a few hours" so I know not to wait on you. It's emotionally exhausting.

Originally Posted by sbenzing
Wow. So youre a Korean girl who grew up in Hong Kong, lives in the United States now and is studying Spanish in college? You know that's crazy right?
Jisun: I feel like I'm writing some Twilight shit.
Kanen: Ji, I feel like that all the time.
Kanen: The difference is,
Kanen: this is only your first draft.
Kanen: for her, it was her last.

Last edited by The Enchanted Muggle; 11-23-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 AM View Post #13 (Link)
The Enchanted Muggle (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 20
Originally Posted by gardenwriter View Post
I hate nitpickers, they just cant tell you honestly that they dont like what you wrote, or anything idea that comes from.
what Dabs said and what I said. and also, if they didn't like your work at all, why would they spend the time to read it and to give it a critique? that'd be 10 minutes of their life on something they didn't like.

Originally Posted by sbenzing
Wow. So youre a Korean girl who grew up in Hong Kong, lives in the United States now and is studying Spanish in college? You know that's crazy right?
Jisun: I feel like I'm writing some Twilight shit.
Kanen: Ji, I feel like that all the time.
Kanen: The difference is,
Kanen: this is only your first draft.
Kanen: for her, it was her last.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:29 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Memories (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by The Enchanted Muggle View Post
what Dabs said and what I said. and also, if they didn't like your work at all, why would they spend the time to read it and to give it a critique? that'd be 10 minutes of their life on something they didn't like.
Precisely.
Of course, based on the responses here, many'd hate nitpicker because of they nitpicking about things that shouldn't be nitpicked.

And we should be grateful because nitpickers usually have a sense. I don't know what kind of thing that encouraged that to a nitpicking sense, but this is rare. A true nitpicker can notice something that we, the ordinaries, can't. Usually, in companies or writings, they can detect things that hardly undetectable.

And regarding to Muggle's words, yes, nitpickers, I think, have an habit to spend their time about nitpicking things. They are weird and helpful.

It isn't like I sided with nitpicker; I sometimes nitpick too. All of us are. We don't realize we are nitpicking.

I hate nitpickers in a way. An in another way, I like them.

I really hate when people nitpicking about my mistakes in front of others. They should be more sensitive towards our feelings.