Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 AM View Post #1 (Link) Writing Quantity
lilyandherviolin (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
So, I'm curious - how do you write quantity? Literally, just how do you put lots and lots of words and ideas down on paper? I have always had trouble writing anything longer that about three pages, but it's my ambition to write 200-500 page novels.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:00 AM View Post #2 (Link)
owl (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 41
An interesting question. I would say: practice. It takes time and practice to learn 1) how to carry out a narrative to it's finish (the ability to work with an evolving narrative is a skill in of its self) and 2) what ideas are novel ideas. Or really, how something becomes a novel. How you frame a narrative, how you expand scope, how you slow down so your work has space to grow instead of just racing to the finish line -- all learned skills. If you want to know how pole have the endurance to put a lot down, same deal: they practice. They learn how they work -- best pace, best time, best routine if routine at all. They learn how to, in the words of Stephen King, shovel shit. You develop, as you write and get older, the patience and the confidence and the self knowledge to know your book is not as bad as you fear.

So: feed your ambition. Practice. Read novels and think about what makes them different than your short stories. Practice some more. It's not magic. It's training.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 AM View Post #3 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I agree with what owl said here, and I'll add that reassessing your goals is a major factor, too. Do you want to use such and such for a plot? Do you really think that setting is appropriate? Stuff like these being established firmly can change a lot with continuing your writing's inspiration/structure.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM View Post #4 (Link)
KaziMasum (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Yes. owl is right. I also want to say you that before start writing you should have a clear concept of your story. To have the quantity i also advice you to practice.

THANK YOU.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Shut off that internal editor. Also, try writing novels. Just go for it. See how far you get. It won't be easy the first few times, and you may not even finish, but eventually you'll realize it's just like telling any other story. You just have to work at it for a little longer.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Talia (Offline)
Novice Writer

Originally Posted by lilyandherviolin View Post
So, I'm curious - how do you write quantity? Literally, just how do you put lots and lots of words and ideas down on paper? I have always had trouble writing anything longer that about three pages, but it's my ambition to write 200-500 page novels.
I outline first and when I know the story, I pace writing according to the number of scenes written everyday.

You can take a character on a journey. The whole hero's journey process (recommend kalbashir.com) will take you to a longer story.

Think of individual scenes and how they connect together.

Each scene is a bulk of words. It all soon adds up.

Last edited by Lykaios; 12-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Reason: triple post
Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 AM View Post #7 (Link)
KathyHamilton (Offline)
Novice Writer

Writing a novel in 500 words is quite difficult for the beginners. Plan your novel before start writing. Have a overall structure for novels. Make changes wherever necessary while writing it. Keep on practicing your writing. Write novel in simple words. Do not drag your novel. This may make your novel lengthy.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM View Post #8 (Link)
totom (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Writing a 200 pages or more novel for beginners is a challenging task. Most newbies will fail but will better to write up some short stories before going to writing novel
Old 09-09-2016, 08:05 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Paul Norris (Offline)
Literary Newbie

People can easily write novels. They can write because they have interest like a job. Our job is to work somewhere. Like someone work is professional academic writing services. They can easily write words on them.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 AM View Post #10 (Link)
pavisb (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Hey there,

Writing 200-500 page novels is a challenging piece. One thing that you can do is to write little by little. If you are planning to write a long written piece, consider writing chapter by chapter. That way, you will be able to develop your ideas in a more logical way. The first chapter would lead to the second chapter of the book well. Also, if you cannot think of any ideas, try to come up with something that interests you!