Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-19-2015, 12:52 AM View Post #11 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 21
It sounds a lot like you want some spiritual experience or religion when you look at art or do something intellectual. That happens for some people, but not for all of us.
I want art to have some more-than-physical significance, but this is not necessarily religious. None of the world's religions really works for me, and I'm not looking for anything ritualistic.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:56 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
That makes sense because a lot of people feel that way, but for those of us who only believe in the physical world, it's hard to connect with. It sounds a lot like you want some spiritual experience or religion when you look at art or do something intellectual. That happens for some people, but not for all of us.
I've had a hard time finding a place to insert my opinion into this topic, but I think you've summed up my thoughts pretty well. I think I used to have some vague need for mighty, existential satisfaction, but it doesn't interest me anymore.

I think I used to have this frustrating dilemma as an atheist. I wanted there to be something immaterial out there that was bigger than me, yet something I could connect with, but I don't believe that thing exists. But that was college. I was, like, twenty. lol These things don't quite hold the weight they used to, but it's interesting to think about. Maybe I'll have a character think like that, one day.

Edit: Just realized I do have such a character.

Originally Posted by 2sh4r
I want art to have some more-than-physical significance, but this is not necessarily religious. None of the world's religions really works for me, and I'm not looking for anything ritualistic.
Well, you should define what you mean by "more-than-physical."

Last edited by Dabs; 10-19-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 PM View Post #13 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Well, you should define what you mean by "more-than-physical."
I don't know. It's not a specific thing to put down in words. I guess I do feel that it is something spiritual that could satisfy me, but actually now that I reflect, I don't think so.

There's this word in Hindi: vedana - it means the endless yearning of the human soul.

I think that's what I feel. Perhaps no matter what, I will be unsatisfied. Maybe it will go away in the future. Maybe this is just a phase. But there's something pretty interesting about that yearning, I think.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 PM View Post #14 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

There's this great quote for the movie "The Prestige" that captures what I'm trying to say, I think.

"The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special. You really don't know? It was... it was the look on their faces..."

That's why I write.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by 2sh4r View Post
I don't know. It's not a specific thing to put down in words. I guess I do feel that it is something spiritual that could satisfy me, but actually now that I reflect, I don't think so.

There's this word in Hindi: vedana - it means the endless yearning of the human soul.

I think that's what I feel. Perhaps no matter what, I will be unsatisfied. Maybe it will go away in the future. Maybe this is just a phase. But there's something pretty interesting about that yearning, I think.
The endless yearning of the human soul does, indeed, sound spiritual to me. In fact, if you're looking for something immaterial then I'd say you're indeed engaged with the something spiritual. I don't think any other word can describe the general field in which your problem resides. I definitely had a phase like this, although I didn't quote focalize it through art. Maybe it's not a phase with you, but it's something a lot of people experience at a certain age and grapple with for a while before either ditching it or finding a personal solution.

Originally Posted by 2sh4r View Post
There's this great quote for the movie "The Prestige" that captures what I'm trying to say, I think.

"The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special. You really don't know? It was... it was the look on their faces..."

That's why I write.
I still feel like this is vague, though. So, are you applying this from a craft perspective? Are you interested in making the text and the reader's surrounding reality disappear while they're enveloped by your writing? Are you trying to make people question what they hold to be true? The quote, however, seems to give the audience a lot of credit in saying that they recognize reality is pretty shitty: it gives the impression that the audience is in tune with the actual nature of the world, and it's the magician's job to toy with them, in a sense, and make them believe that fantasy might just exist, which, I suppose, would be escapism. Is that what you're going for?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 AM View Post #16 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Yea, it is something spiritual.

The quote, however, seems to give the audience a lot of credit in saying that they recognize reality is pretty shitty: it gives the impression that the audience is in tune with the actual nature of the world, and it's the magician's job to toy with them, in a sense, and make them believe that fantasy might just exist, which, I suppose, would be escapism
Well, the illusionist attempts to fool the audience into believing that fantasy might exist. I, as a writer, want to inspire emotions in a way that causes readers to turn to the physical world with a romantic eye - I hope that they stop being cynics/realists at least for a short while.

But this is not my only goal or even my principal goal; my goals often change.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Ohhhh, okay. Well, then reading the Romantic-era writers might be a good idea. They were very focused on finding majesty in the world. Of course, your goal isn't quite the same, but it might be helpful to see how people evoke and invoke riveting beauty with language. Mont Blanc by Percy Shelley comes to mind.