Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 AM View Post #1 (Link) Should students be given homework
Rittichartt16 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I believe that if the students have sufficient understanding of the topic being discussed in class they should not be given homework. Instead of giving graded homework, the teachers should provide students with a study guide. Spending seven hours a day in school is tiresome enough, adding homework to the seven hours is just torture.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I'm on the fence with this. On one hand, if a student doesn't understand a subject in class, they're not going to understand it at home. If they do understand it in class, what's the point of repeating the material. On the other hand, homework is a surefire for the teacher to gauge how well the student is learning and help them accordingly. There are only so many hours in a school day. It may not be possible for a teacher to be sure that every student is up to par in that allotted amount of time.

I don't agree with your complaint about it being stressful. I mean, it is stressful, but so is life. You're going to encounter difficult things. You're going to have to do your job from home, sometimes, after you've spent a day at the office. You have to learn how to manage and deal with stress. School is typically where you start learning how to deal with that. It only gets more difficult from here.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:04 AM View Post #3 (Link)
The Enchanted Muggle (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 20
I think what Dabs said about homework being a way to guage how a student is doing is important. I also agree with him about maybe if the teacher is superb, then there might not be a need for much homework. A superb teacher, I would think, would be able to more or less keep tabs on the student's process and if he's getting any practice outside of the classroom. I think a part of homework is that -- practicing what you learn, recalling and applying it to problems that might be similar to what you learn at school, inside the classroom. Practice makes perfect, you know?

That being said, I don't believe that a lot of homework is necessary. Finland's schools give their students no more than half an hour worth of homework every day, but with that, I suspect that their teachers are totally competent and beyond with their jobs and giving their students ample opportunites to learn and practice what they've learned in the classroom, and to relearn and review the material.

Originally Posted by sbenzing
Wow. So youre a Korean girl who grew up in Hong Kong, lives in the United States now and is studying Spanish in college? You know that's crazy right?
Jisun: I feel like I'm writing some Twilight shit.
Kanen: Ji, I feel like that all the time.
Kanen: The difference is,
Kanen: this is only your first draft.
Kanen: for her, it was her last.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Francoise Spinney (Offline)
Novice Writer

I know of some students who wouldn't even bother with a study guide. They only do their homework because it's graded.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:57 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
I am very strongly opinionated about this subjec..... Sorry if I possibly offend anyone

OK so I am a 8th grader that sometimes miss outs on life because of homework. Instead that no more than an hour's worth of homework should be given to student in total because it could have the opposite effect. With so much homework I spend 2-3 hours doing homework a night. Most kids don't even do their homework and when they do they figure out a way to cheat. Homework is supposed to provide a positive attitude towards school but whne too much has been assigned to has an opposite effect. I think homework should not be assigned! The teachers need to work with the 1-hour time period tey have to teach us. (1 hour 7 times a day= 7 hours) Assign homework when it is ABSOLUTELY nessacary instead of daily.

~Anonymous~
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Syn (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 26
Keep in mind that for some students, an hour's worth of homework can be done in less time, and for some a week wouldn't be enough if they simply don't understand the material well enough.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:55 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Finland's schools give their students no more than half an hour worth of homework every day, but with that, I suspect that their teachers are totally competent and beyond with their jobs and giving their students ample opportunites to learn and practice what they've learned in the classroom, and to relearn and review the material.

Oh, that's why their English is so poor, even poorer than mine, and seriously, Finland is very small country, and it requires small brain to do well there; America is a very big country and it requires very big brain if you wanna succeed there.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 03-10-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Georgy, I can't help but think you might be selling Finland a bit short there. lol You also might be giving America too much praise.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Georgy, I can't help but think you might be selling Finland a bit short there. lol You also might be giving America too much praise.

Mea culpa,sir!
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 06-12-2016, 01:00 PM View Post #10 (Link)
AussieNick (Offline)
Novice Writer

I think homework can be a good way to get students to take initiative for their own learning while at home, and to balance school/work and personal life. That being said, I think the most important thing in education is for the student to show their understanding of a topic, and homework isn't essential for that to happen. What I like about my school is that there is no actual homework. The only home study we ever have to do is stuff we don't finish in class, with exceptions being rare.