Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 AM View Post #1 (Link) Readability score
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Hi guys,
I was having a problem with the readability score of my novel. When I checked it, the average grade of it was 5.8. That wasn't at all the age I had thought of having as my target audience so I googled the readability scores of other novels in my genre (vampires) and needless to say, the first one was twilight which scored 4.4 and that was a Ya fantasy novel and the audience weren't ones in the 4rth grade so does that mean I can write in easy wording or shall change my draft?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
That scale isn't really important... Like... at all... I would not worry about it.

Write however and whatever you want.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Basically what Infinity_Man said. I'd have been way more flippant so I won't add anything original. lol
Old 01-16-2016, 03:55 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
I agree with Infinity and Dabs, I wouldn't worry about the readability score of what you're writing. Write how you're comfortable writing, and if you look at everything in the end and it's way off, you can revise/edit then.

I am curious about how you checked the readability score? I don't think I've ever even heard of people searching their own book like that.

It actually doesn't surprise me that Twilight would be rated a 4.4. In the American system, 4.4 would be the expected reading level for a 4th grader in the 4th month of school. That doesn't mean that the book is supposed to be read by fourth graders, and I would question it if I saw a fourth grader reading it. That just means that they would be capable of reading the words.

There's different kinds of rating scales, too. If you look up the AR (Accelerated Reader) level, it's 4.9 for Twilight, which sounds about accurate with my reading of it. The audience is obviously older than 4th grade, but it's an easy read. Reading Counts! says 4.4, but I don't ever listen to their ratings much haha. I really like the Fountas and Pinnell system. Not every book is rated on there, and it's not like you could auto-rate your own book, but for the most part it's offered me a good judgement about how difficult books are in the past. It only goes up to about 5th grade, though. If you're writing for YA, you're probably past the end of the usefulness of a readability scale anyway.

So yeah, way more than you need to know for something you shouldn't worry about. But good that you're questioning whether your story is suited for your audience!

Last edited by Keladry; 01-16-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:03 PM View Post #5 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Oh thanks, Keladry could you please critique on my chapter 1 of Hades in the novels section i have been waiting since days
Old 01-16-2016, 04:08 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Haha, I just woke up half an hour ago and saw your VM then. I do plan to spend today critiquing, but I might eat lunch first-- your story is on the list!

That's totally irrelevant to this thread, though. Message me if you have any more questions/comments
Old 01-16-2016, 04:09 PM View Post #7 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Oh sure I just got a little impatient thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 AM View Post #8 (Link)
dayle (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 3
It is when you may need help from an editor.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM View Post #9 (Link)
totom (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
There isn't a bad thing if you can't follow readability test because you'll able to make it great without regards to the test..
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
It's just a check and no one really cares about that as long as they can engage and enjoy the writing.