Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 AM View Post #1 (Link) Interest In The Things You Write
lizadiane99 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I'm unsure of where to post questions, as this isn't an advice forum for writers. I apologize in advance, but I checked the website four times over and couldn't find any information on where I can post questions. However, I do have a question and I hope that it doesn't get deleted.

I started a story about my sister and her complications with drug use and crime, but since I started the story, I have moved locations. Ever since I moved, my interest in the story lessened. I've tried for weeks to write about it, but it just doesn't seem to spark my attention as it did before. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to solve it? I would hate to start something entirely new, but every time I sit down to write it, all I can think is how badly I want to work on something else.

If you've had this problem and was able to solve it, please leave advice explaining how you solved it. If you took time off from writing it, how long did you take before going back to it? Thank you again and I apologize if this isn't in the right place.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
The forum directly below this one is called "writing q&a".

What you're experiencing is a common problem. It's called writer's block. Anything can cause this. Perhaps in your case it's the stress of moving locations. Or maybe it's something else. Who knows? You can either wait to find more inspiration, plough through your writer's block and force yourself to write, try writing the story from a different angle (change perspectives, change settings, change the conflict, change some names, so one and so forth), or you can try writing a different story in the meantime. It seems like you're naturally wanting to do the last one, so why not do it? It's not like this current story is going to go anywhere.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 AM View Post #3 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Well, it depends on the type of question it is. If it is related to literature (which it is) you can post it here and about your story, I bet you have been thinking about it before. This has happened to me but in a different
way. In my manuscript, the male protagonist enters in the third chapter and so I was not at all interested in writing the first two chapters. So I kept in mind I can't start writing it from where it fascinates me so I need to complete these two. And that solved it but I wrote them real fast that I forgot to mention some important events and had to go back and almost rewrite the whole of them. In your case I see you aren't interested in the whole of your story, you must enjoy writing (a good advice by Dabs) so start with something else (not necessary, take it as an advice too) and save it for writing as a published author. I have done that leaving my older manuscript at 30,000 words but kept brainstorming about it and surely I will write it later or you try keeping in mind the part of your story that you'll still enjoy and keep it as a goal....
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude

Last edited by DestinyVamp; 02-06-2016 at 03:31 AM.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:38 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
On top of what's been said, I put a lot of stock into my physical location when I write. There are certainly places where I find I'm more productive or, more specifically, less distracted when I work. When I lived at home, I could get a lot of writing done at the kitchen table, but could never focus when I was at my bedroom desk. When I was at university, again I couldn't work in my bedroom, but I could usually get a lot of work done if I found a quiet seat on campus to work. I also like to go to cafes to write--as cliche as it is, I do find it helps me focus.

The main reason for this, I believe, is that I've subconsciously attributed certain locations with certain things. Being at my desk is when I check facebook, watch videos, play games, etc. So it's a place of fun and distraction. It's not impossible for me to write there, but it makes it a lot harder to take it seriously. Comparing that to a place where I have no internet, no other outlets, and whatnot (such as a cafe or a more public room in a house) keeps me in line.

Maybe you had this same thing going on where you used to write this story, and since you've moved you've not yet built up a sense of a work space? If that's the case, then the best thing to do is just to try and keep writing--anything will do, it doesn't have to be this story--and cement somewhere as a productive space in your mind. I'm also going to agree with Dabs that if what you really want to do is stop writing the story, then you should just stop writing the story. If you aren't enjoying what you write, then that will probably come through in your writing (and if you're not interested in writing the first two chapters of your book, then you're going to have a hard time convincing readers to be interested in reading them, Destiny). Other people might say you should get into the habit of finishing what you started, but considering the work that would go into something like this (and the personal subject matter sounds like it would be very mentally exhausting to deal with every day) it just doesn't make sense to me to continue working on something you don't like.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:31 PM View Post #5 (Link)
lizadiane99 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Dabs - Thank you for letting me know about the Q&A section. I was slightly embarrassed when I saw your reply as I hadn't seen it before. Yes, I have experienced writer's block before, but that's usually when I have absolutely no ideas whatsoever and I can't focus. Although, you do make a good point with the move. It's been about six months since I've moved and I have barely gotten any writing done. (It could also relate to the fact that I'm pregnant and living with a lazy boyfriend - who knows?)

DestinyVamp - I will give your advice a try and possibly take a break for a short period of time to write something else. I don't seem to have any other manuscript ideas at the moment, but I'm sure if I went back to the good old fashioned poetry or song writing I did before, it might spark up some interest. Thank you!

Infinity_Man - I take location very seriously, too. When I was living with family, I could focus in my bedroom very well, but only at my desk. I could never focus while I was in my bed, because that's where I would watch Netflix and sleep. I understand entirely about distractions and I actually find it easier to work at a cafe, too. For me, it's something about the atmosphere. I love people watching and I love writing about them....I haven't people watched in a LONG time....Maybe it's time to revisit old methods for writing. Back when I was in high school, I would people watch and write down what I saw, but everything I wrote didn't seem to make any sense. That being said, I still had a sense of direction, even if there was no solid story line. Maybe it would be an idea to try it again. It's not that I'm not interested in my story. I used to be interested in it, believe me, but that was back when I was living with my family. I had to deal with it every day and it was always in my face. It seemed way more interesting when I was actually going through it than it seemed after I moved. Now that I've moved, it just doesn't seem as interesting. I would spend more time with my family if I thought it would help, but it's out of the question, as we live pretty far away from each other.

Thank you so much for your tips and suggestions. I will keep in mind where the Q&A section of the website is from now on. I appreciate all of your responses! =)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:29 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by lizadiane99 View Post
It's not that I'm not interested in my story. I used to be interested in it, believe me, but that was back when I was living with my family. I had to deal with it every day and it was always in my face. It seemed way more interesting when I was actually going through it than it seemed after I moved. Now that I've moved, it just doesn't seem as interesting.
Would you say writing the story was your way of coping with the issue? Perhaps since it isn't always in your face now, you feel less like you need to cope or vent about it, or find some way to sympathize with the issue? Maybe the lack of interest is your subconscious way of wanting to move on from the issue and focus on your new life and family? (P.S congratulations on the baby)

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:50 AM View Post #7 (Link)
lizadiane99 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
Would you say writing the story was your way of coping with the issue? Perhaps since it isn't always in your face now, you feel less like you need to cope or vent about it, or find some way to sympathize with the issue? Maybe the lack of interest is your subconscious way of wanting to move on from the issue and focus on your new life and family? (P.S congratulations on the baby)
I actually hadn't seen it that way, but it makes an excellent point. It's very possible that I feel the need to cope and instead of writing it down in a journal, I try to make a story out of it. I've always kind of enjoyed the stories based on my experiences. They aren't necessarily easy to write, but on the other hand, they are part of the things I've learned over the years, which certainly makes writing about them easier. I've been trying to make my story about my sister completely fiction. I've even changed many details and put the events out of order to make the story better. Overall, I think you're right. It's most likely due to the need to cope or vent, but since I'm no longer in that situation, it's not really as bothersome as it was before. This was some of the most helpful advice I've ever read. Thank you so much and thank you for your congratulations. I'm very excited about it!
Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM View Post #8 (Link)
totom (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
That's fine. We can try to move to plot to other subject, maybe about our other sister or our parent so we wouldn't boring with our main plot of story
Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM View Post #9 (Link) Your question
Rebekah (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 4
It has happened to me quite a lot. I have a few ways that I have dealt with it:
  • If you are really not interested, it is best to start again. If you don't give it your full attention, other people might not enjoy it as much;
  • Try re-writing some or all of it with a different twist, like maybe a chapter is from another person's point of view;
  • Give it some time. If you leave it for a while, usually something you see or hear will give you some more ideas.
Following your heart is most important, what you decide to do with your story must go on your feeling, not what other people tell you.

Rebekah
Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Mudy (Offline)
Novice Writer

This should be a prerequisite

Last edited by Mudy; 06-09-2017 at 07:00 AM.