Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM View Post #1 (Link) Unbreakable Hearts by Laurence Beveridge
rainbowroadkill (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 2
So my favourite band is Fearless Vampire Killers (aka FVK) and one of their singers/guitarists is also an author. He writes books set in an alternative future city called Grandomina; the most recent book in that series is called Unbreakable Hearts, which is a sort of companion to FVK's concept album of the same name.

Although you could say I'm biased - FVK are my favourite band in the world, after all - I can honestly say that I adored this book! The writing style is certainly unique, mixing "old-fashioned" language with vulgarity, and beautiful literate style with graphic detail. This certainly isn't a book for the faint-hearted: it contains a large amount of in-depth violence and sexual depravity, so if you're not willing to read about that in detail then please don't read this.

Our main characters are the Five: Lorens Vane, Gravo Roman, Cyrus Barronč, Edgar Dionisio and Lou Killingworth. Each member of the band has one character assigned to them in the Five, but the characters aren't exactly based on their real-life counterpart. It's slightly confusing, but don't worry - you don't need to be a fan of FVK to read the Grandomina books, and I'd recommend them to anyone who's interested, whether they've even heard of Laurence's band or not. The characters all have intricate backstories which heavily influence their complex personalities, and the way they interact with each other and the other characters in the story is very interesting at times. One of my favourite things about Unbreakable Hearts is that there are chapters dedicated to telling the "origin" stories of each of the Five (which mirrors FVK's earlier mini-album Exposition: The Five Before the Flames).

The history and lore of Grandomina is rich and complicated, and if you don't pay attention to what's going on you'll find yourself going back a chapter or more to find out what's happening. New characters are introduced frequently, and if you don't read the books in the suggested order things can get confusing pretty quickly. However I wouldn't be put off by this unless you don't want to immerse yourself in the history of the fictional city, because once you're into this book you won't be able to put it down! I'm on my third time reading it, and I only received it about three months ago.

Genre-wise, I'm really unsure as to how to describe Unbreakable hearts. It's somewhat steampunk, with it's mechanical elements coming into play a lot: weapons, armour, even people and something called the Cult of Mechanism. There's also some Victorian influence which can be linked in with steampunk culture, with the language of the people in Grandomina being a strange combo of old London and English dialects and a LOT of swearing. There are elements of horror threading through the whole story, with vampires and gore and horrific acts of sexual violence being core to some parts of the plot. Like I said, don't read this if you're not prepared to face a lot of graphic detail...

The one downside to this book is that, due to the fact that Laurence wrote it all himself and self-published, there's a decent amount of typos and grammatical errors. It doesn't affect the quality of the story though, and reading it is still extremely enjoyable.

Overall, I'd recommend Unbreakable Hearts to anyone who's interested in more "alternative" literature, and wants something to really immerse themselves in. I would recommend reading the books in the right order though, which is:
Ruple & Evelyn
Militia of the Lost
Unbreakable Hearts

Last edited by rainbowroadkill; 02-08-2016 at 06:15 PM.