Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Grey (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
[ Warning: may contain very slight spoilers ahead? I don't know how to do the spoilers cut, so I thought I'd address that here. ]

I'm about 40% of the way through Cursed Child. I knew it was a script book and not a novelization so I wasn't bothered by that. I actually used to do theatre in high school and we'd have to read our scripts the same way when we got them.

I definitely wonder why J.K. Rowling didn't write the script herself, because I feel like the poignancy that is found throughout some parts of the entire series could really have added a touch of much needed magic (no pun intended) to the script. I think she's definitely capable of learning a new medium of writing, even if she's never encountered it before, but at any rate I'm disappointed that she didn't.

I do think that this is just another money-making scheme. There's honestly no reason that Cursed Child couldn't have been a book instead, but my impression from recent interviews is that it's not something she's interested in doing. So the question then...why a continuation in another form? Why put the rehearsal script out there? Succinctly: money.

I did adore the friendship in Cursed Child between Albus and Scorpius. I loved the idea that the sons of two men who had much friction in the series turned out to be best friends. In the series there seemed to be this generational friction between the Weasleys and the Malfoys from the parents down to the children, and I can understand that was probably more of a product of their pureblood status (and Draco's continual need to espouse views and attitudes that Lucius held himself) than anything else, but I'm glad that Albus and Scorpius went the opposite direction. It could be a result of the change in cultural climate regarding blood status, because that wouldn't get in the way of their being able to be friends or not. Which, for me, is interesting to think about.

I also think that, yes, it seems like Fanfiction, but that's because in a way? It really is fanfiction. Thorne wrote it, not J.K. Rowling. By it's nature it can never be anything but fanfiction, even if it's canonical too (if Rowling considers it so).

I do honestly think that the future of the characters we grew to love and know in Harry Potter should've been left to the imagination of the readers, and I'm sure many fans are going to consider Deathly Hallows the final installment, and leave it at that. Which, makes sense to me because it was the end of an era. It was the end of Voldemort, and Harry's part in the story was done. His drive through the entire works had been resolved, and with that, the story ended.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
The time travel thing basically turned me off from ever purchasing the book. It feels so... bland, going back to previously witnessed events, even if they're being seen by new characters. Like, why revisit the Tri-Wizard tournament when I can literally pick up Book 4 and experience it that way? Time travel in general doesn't bother, but the idea of time traveling back into your own narrative doesn't make sense because it's like... it's a book. I can access the content of the book--that chunk of narrative time--at any point I desire.

So yeah, basically I'm not going to be reading Harry Potter and the Phantom Menace anytime soon.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I definitely wonder why J.K. Rowling didn't write the script herself, because I feel like the poignancy that is found throughout some parts of the entire series could really have added a touch of much needed magic (no pun intended) to the script. I think she's definitely capable of learning a new medium of writing, even if she's never encountered it before, but at any rate I'm disappointed that she didn't.

I do think that this is just another money-making scheme. There's honestly no reason that Cursed Child couldn't have been a book instead, but my impression from recent interviews is that it's not something she's interested in doing. So the question then...why a continuation in another form? Why put the rehearsal script out there? Succinctly: money.
You're right yep! And JKR has written the script for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, so perhaps something about Thorne's fanfiction-play hasn't pleased her or she disliked the lack of creative control, after all? Who knows? But they are also selling a book of the script of that film, too, which is even more of an obvious money-grabber. Who but collectors are going to want to buy the script of a film they can just watch? The play, I can sort of understand because most of the world will never get to see it. But the film will be in cinemas everywhere, and there will definitely be a DVD, etc. So whyy? O.o

The entire HP franchise feels geared towards getting the most amount of money out of our generation as it possibly can these days. The illustrated editions were a great idea, but who will buy a kid a 30 book? They are clearly for collectors. The new covers for all the books were also a great idea to modernise them a bit and make them appeal to the new generation . . . but again, expensive price-tags double the price of any other kids' books on the shelves, are not going to appeal to kids. All the merch, everything. It's ridiculous. I was a hugee Harry Potter fan back in the day, but everything I've heard from JKR in the last few years has watered down my love for her. I won't be considering Cursed Child canon, either, and I'll be rereading the original series sometime soon to remind myself those books still deserve my love.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 PM View Post #14 (Link)
mmurloc (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Seeing another Harry Potter series always makes my blood boil! I can't wait for this book to be released!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:31 AM View Post #15 (Link) Re: Harry Potter and The Cursed Child
MeganJones (Offline)
Novice Writer

Sounds new to me. Hmmm
Old 09-19-2017, 10:53 AM View Post #16 (Link)
reynoldredstool (Offline)
Novice Writer

My children love all the books about Harry Potter