Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 PM View Post #1 (Link) A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176

This is one of those books I wish I grew up with. I was mostly unaware of it aside from hearing the title. I had no idea what it was about or what it entailed. Those are usually the best experiences, I think.

Synopsis:
Meg Murray is a stubborn, troublesome student whose father has gone missing for some time. Her twin brothers are rather annoying but her young brother Charles shows promise as a child prodigy. Charles apparently involves himself with some witches - Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which. They eventually tell Meg and Charles that they must embark on a perilous journey to save not only the universe but their father.

Prose:
Third-person narrative following Meg. Very easy to read since it's a children's book. I knocked this out within a single day.

Story:
I gotta say, this is certainly unique for a children's book. The witches teach some light quantum physics, which I found strange and awesome for a children's book. This isn't your typical modern day fairy tale for kids to read. Meg's parents are both scientists. Meg's mother is a microbiologist and her father is a physicist. I found this unique and different from the typical nuclear families portrayed in the '60's, which is when this book was published.

I love that Meg is the protagonist who gets in trouble at school instead of a boy, and I also love that Meg eventually gets romantically involved with a boy who is more popular than her. Usually the trope is that the troubled nerdy guy gets the really hot girl - but not this one. And it's so strange that it's from 1960. I feel like this is something a writer from today would conjure up. Meg's twin brothers almost act like a brief microcosm of sexism - they say things like "Girls aren't supposed to do that" to Meg.

The conflicts of good and evil are presented here in a way that kids can understand. I don't want to give everything away but a major conflict that Meg comes across is if it's better to live in peace without free will. Like I said it's both strange and awesome. It's nothing you'd ever read in a children's book. My only real complaint is that the ending is too short. It literally wraps up in a couple pages.

This is only the first book in a series of 5. I definitely want to read the rest of the series now.

On a random note, this vaguely reminds me of the first Mother game - you know, Earthbound Zero. I doubt anyone reading this would know what I'm talking about but it involves a boy going off to find his father along with his friends, and aliens and psychic powers. Wonder if this in any way inspired parts of that.

Verdict:
Hell yeah read it - sci-fi lovers everywhere!