Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-06-2016, 06:23 PM View Post #1 (Link) Capable of writing or not?
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I am facing a problem here, let's not hide I am 12. TOOOOOOO young for writing and I have got a complicated idea (greek myths, gothic stuff, maybe erotica as well) which of course will turn out to be hard to write, I mean, I can write it but of course not in the super fancy, extraordinary vocabulary and whatever a writer can do.
The question is, is it right to write simple or shall I give up writing until I am old enough?
That is going to be tough since I can hardly give up writing, as well due to some leg issues, I am not into sports on any such thing. (maybe it's why I found writing interesting)

So...by writing simple I don't mean to say writing informally or immaturely but you know.......
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude

Last edited by DestinyVamp; 04-07-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Writing is something most of us learn by doing. I learned how to write poems by just ... writing lots of poems as a teenager. English class helped because it exposed me to new poets. Talking about poetry with other people helped because it gave me suggestions about how to improve. But mostly I just learned from trial, error, and experience. I think a lot of novelists and short story writers learned the same way: by just trying.

I think starting to write when you're young is great! You have more time to try new things and get experience. I can understand being nervous about writing something complicated right away. But I think there are a few ways to approach that issue:

- You can break up the project into smaller sections.
- You can outline the project before you write.
- You can just get started writing the complicated idea and see how you feel. If it feels good and fun and interesting, keep going. If it doesn't, think about a different project you can try.

You can always get started on your ideas. If you want to revise them later, that's ok. You'll learn about all the different aspects of writing as you go. If you want a head start learning, then read books while you write. I think many writers learn just as much from reading other people's work as writing themselves, and the combination is often really helpful.

It's worth it to try. If you like writing, love writing, or just want something to do while you rest your leg, do it. If it's not as great as you want immediately, that's totally ok. It takes all of us time to learn. Most creative things take time and practice, practice, practice. Heck, most anything takes time to learn! Sports, driving, accounting, politics, cooking, science, being an adult ... I've been learning how to be a biologist for the last 6 years and I think I'll be learning for another decade at least. I've been learning how to write for the last 12 years and I'm still learning. That's a good thing. You can do it too.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
If you don't practice you'll never be "old enough." It's good to want to do something complicated. You should learn to follow your instincts and pursue what you want. If you teach yourself to settle for less, it'll be very difficult to do what you actually want.

That said, you may fail at writing this complicated project. It may be because you're twelve. It may be because you don't have enough experience. It may be for a number of reasons, actually. I'm 23, turning 24 in a month or so, and I look back at the novels I've written in the last year or two alone and I'd say only one out of the 3-4 are salvageable. I'm going to have to rewrite them if I want to get them published. While it sucks that all those pages are, more or less, going in the trash bin, if I hadn't written them I wouldn't have had a chance to look back and see where I could improve. If you don't make mistakes, you don't get better, and if you don't try, you can't make mistakes. It's okay to fail.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Just write. Just do it. As others have said, writing takes practice, and the earlier you start, the more practice you'll get. Don't worry about writing something good, because trust me, it won't be. Not right away; not a first draft. Maybe not ever a first draft. (But you've got editing for that, so it's no big deal.) Just worry about doing the thing--not about your age--and by doing it, you'll get better. Read a lot, too. Read and pay attention to how the story is written.

I'm in grad school right now for English/creative writing, and in my first class, we talked about "reading like a writer" and how much you can learn by paying close attention to how your favorite authors write, and what techniques they use. Honestly, I've been doing that for most of my life, and that's how I learned to write, as I didn't take any actual creative writing classes until college. Like you, I started writing when I was about twelve/thirteen, and I wrote all the time. Combine that with trying to figure out how your favorite authors write, and you're on the right track. (Also places like YWO, googling articles about writing, and TED Talks about writing/creating stories are a great help, too.)

Mostly, don't worry about it right now. I had a huge, epic fantasy story I wanted to write when I was twelve, and I did--multiple times over multiple drafts. That story still needs a lot of editing, but it played the important role of being my first novel. After the first one, trust me, they get easier. You start to figure them out. So just write the thing, and worry about the rest of it later. You've got way enough time to work your way up to writing the stuff you really want to write, and the best way is to just start doing it now.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 04-09-2016, 02:39 AM View Post #5 (Link)
S.J. Barnesington (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
If you want to write, I say write! Who ever said you need a fancy vocabulary anyway? Sure it might turn out not being a very good story but if you never practice, then it's not very likely that you will ever write a good story.

Just don't do what I did a couple of years ago. I would reread what I wrote, think it was terrible, and throw it out. I deeply regret this now because most of those could have probably become decent stories if I actually finished writing them and revised them (neither of which I ever did)

Plus, in my opinion, if you have an idea that you feel that you need to write or really want to write, then it's better to write it than to keep it dwelling in your head, waiting to be written.

Also, if you like writing prompts, maybe check out the group I started called Prompts and More.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 PM View Post #6 (Link)
phoniexbird (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Age doesn't matter. As you become older, you will learn more and your stories will become more sophisticated. If you like writing, then write! It's as simple as that!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Hey.

That's one thing you need to get off your head. No one is too young to write. You can make great stories that people enjoy at any age. You only mature as a writer and add your experiences to your story. But trust me, I'd rather read a story that's appealing to my imagination (sometimes logic is not required).
Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Totally agree with the previous posts. And I think when you were one year old kid you didn't just stand up from the cradle and walk straightly and firmly. For the first time you walked wobbling and staggering and stood unsteady, and I bet you were likely to fell not once. So what of it? You didn't ask whether your should go on walking or stop it. You just walked and walked, and now you can not only walk steadily but jump and run excellently. The same thing with writing. Just write and write, this is the only way to became a mature writer. And don't worry about "being too young for writing" What should you be waiting for? Why should you loose time? If you have a desire or an impulse to write, just realise it.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 09-09-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:23 AM View Post #9 (Link)
pavisb (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hey there!

Nobody would ever be too young for writing! The aim of writing is not to use extraordinary words with smoothest sentences in the world, but to communicate thoroughly what you want to say. I am sure that you have gotten some ideas about Greek myths, gothic stuffs etc...if you studied in your English class or did outside reading. Therefore, you should be able to express or compose a story that is clear and addressing the audience quite well.

If you really feel that you have to write simple, do simple. It is not important at all to create a writing piece that gets the readability score at a college level. Writing can be tough at first, but when you get to practice, you will get better at it. Keep in mind that "what you communicate" is not important as "how you communicate"!

Never give up, and enjoy!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 AM View Post #10 (Link) No!!
qwertyuiop (Offline)
Idea Scribe

No, don't give up on writing, especially if you have nothing to do. I'm only 11 here and that's what I think. If you keep writing, you'll keep on increasing your skills. And that is an advantage that not all have. Practice. Yeah so that's what I think. You're an amazing writer any way and I think you should carry on writing even if it's only for the fun of it. . That's what I think, but in the end, it's your opinion that matters. Have a good day.