Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 AM View Post #1 (Link) Where does Fan-fiction Go?
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I am currently working on a fanfiction and was wondering if I can post it here for critique but I find no forum for that, we have to notify that it's not original work and that it's FF and it can't posted in short stories since it is most likely to be in parts and yet it's too short for being placed in the novels' section and So
What do we do?
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude
Old 04-17-2016, 11:27 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 114
I think, generally, the policy here has always been that we don't accept fan fiction for critique
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 AM View Post #3 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Ughs....Ok...
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Jack, I don't think that's accurate. If you write a fan-fiction short story, it would be posted in the short story section. If you write a fan-fiction novel, you would post individual chapters in the novel section.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I'm certain that in the past members have been discouraged from posting fan fiction. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 PM View Post #6 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Jack, I don't think that's accurate. If you write a fan-fiction short story, it would be posted in the short story section. If you write a fan-fiction novel, you would post individual chapters in the novel section.
This is the correct answer.

Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm certain that in the past members have been discouraged from posting fan fiction. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
This is also sort of true. We do accept fan fic, as far as I know, except for erotica. But it's not the purpose of the forum. I think it's probably low on the priority list of people who critique. But you can give it a shot.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I swear I remember a long thread where we discussed whether Fan-Fiction should be allowed or not, but the search tool isn't turning anything up, so I don't know.

I'm in the camp that Fan-Fic doesn't bother me. Writing is writing, even if certain skills aren't getting developed (such as worldbuilding, developing your own characters, etc. and those, arguably, are still being developed, just in a different way). If you want to post Fan-Fic, I say do it, and just post it the same way you would post a longer story--I have posted long (20K words) short stories in parts before, or if it's even longer than that you could say it's a novella and post it in the novel section. I don't think anyone is going to bu you about that. We're not that rigid. Like you said, just mention at the start that it's fan-fiction so you don't have noobs going "oh, you've stolen all of these names from X book."

Do note, though, that I--and I think most people--would still critique your fan-fiction the same way we would critique any of your writing.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:59 PM View Post #8 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I posted a Legend of Zelda fanfic years ago in the members only novels section but Shaun was like "No" because he was afraid of copyright issues. Guess the rules changed?
Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM View Post #9 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

UH no, Its an indian television show, they don't care about copyright stuff, we can even use their real names and make stories, its not a problem.
Anyways I don't want to break any rules.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by DestinyVamp View Post
Anyways I don't want to break any rules.
Thanks
I think it was decided you could post fan fiction if you wanted to

Last edited by Jack; 04-19-2016 at 08:11 PM.