Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 PM View Post #1 (Link) Everyone's a Better Writer Than Me
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
I know it's not true. I've had writing in my head for years and I love it. And I know better than to compare myself to published works which have been edited and revised by plenty of people.

But I look at what my friends are doing, and I look at poems and stories online that I love, I read stuff by other wanna-be writers who aren't published yet, same as me, and I discover that a lot of people are really, really good. They know what they're doing, and I'm just fumbling.

It's overwhelming to think that what I write will ever live up to the standards everyone else seems to have.

I'm not fishing for praise or anything like that, but I am curious: What do you do when you step back and read someone else's work and discover that you are definitely not good enough?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
My opinion on writing is that "good enough" is, usually, extremely subjective. Reading someone else's work is not a good way to discover if you're good enough. Reading your own work is, however. When I'm in workshop during the school year, I don't usually think of people as being better or worse than me (with a few exceptions here and there; some people still don't quite have the basics down to pat). Everyone has different goals. They want different things out of their writing. It seems kind of pointless to compare myself to them. Quality isn't a linear scale.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I'm going to disagree with Dabs and say go out and read more. Read until you find a book that makes you say "Well, if this can get published, then certainly I can." If nothing else, this moment will be a nice confidence boost that should teach you that "better" writing is hugely subjective.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:24 AM View Post #4 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
I'm going to disagree with Dabs and say go out and read more. Read until you find a book that makes you say "Well, if this can get published, then certainly I can." If nothing else, this moment will be a nice confidence boost that should teach you that "better" writing is hugely subjective.
This is what Poetry magazine does for me.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 AM View Post #5 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Look up self-published books on Amazon. Grade A shit right there.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM View Post #6 (Link)
totom (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
You'll see your story/article bad but other people will saw it on different or opposite way
Old 06-25-2016, 05:12 PM View Post #7 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
I'm going to disagree with Dabs and say go out and read more. Read until you find a book that makes you say "Well, if this can get published, then certainly I can."
The twilight Series, Fifty Shades trilogy, Vampire diaries. Need I say more?
I write trash but these give me hope.
I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude
Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 PM View Post #8 (Link)
phoniexbird (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
It may seem like everyone is a better writer than you. It may seem that you aren't good enough. But I promise you that's not the case.
Every successful writer went through a period of time where they believed they were not good enough. But the reason why they succeeded is because even when they believed they would fail they decided to take defeat with pride and learn from their mistakes instead of giving up. Now you had two options, to take defeat with pride, or give up. Choose wisely.

phoniexbird
Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

It's easy to assume that everyone else is a better writer than you. There are certain times when you think that nothing's going right and you can't even put in a simple sentence. Your thoughts are running wild but there are no correct words to put them together. It happens. I usually tend to look for articles, write-ups, essays and posts written by common people like me (user generated content). It inspires me after reading their work and gives me new ideas to write my own. Once I'm through this reading process, I actually get the flow back.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM View Post #10 (Link)
qwertyuiop (Offline)
Idea Scribe

I do the same thing, I think I'm doing well until I see someone else's story and realise how bad mine is. I just push myself forward and thats what you should do.