Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-28-2016, 04:45 AM View Post #1 (Link) Advice on creating a fictional sport?
bymadichanning (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I'm currently writing a sci-fi fiction novel, and I want to include a fictional sport in it. Since the story isn't fantasy, I want to stay away from anything like Quidditch. However, I know close to nothing about sports, and I can't seem to wrap my brain around even creating one.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I just want it simple, but original to my story, and nothing complicated.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 PM View Post #2 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Hold that thought. Are you absolutely sure adding a fictional sport will have a meaningful purpose? It's not just a small detail about your world or a minor hobby of a character, right? If the sport isn't that vital to the plot, I wouldn't use a fictional sport since it'd need explanations to define it, which would pad out the story unnecessarily.

If your idea for this fictional sport is important, let's review the basics of sports. It's a competition between at least two teams with at least one person per team to do some action. Pretty much every sport relies on a point system to declare the winner, but it's up to you whether you want the lowest or highest number to win since that part is relative to the rules of what you want determining the points. For example, do you want an action to add points, subtract points, or both? Most sports also have a timer so players of that sport don't stall for time forever, but that's still up to you on your rules. If the sport is real-time, as in all teams are always active in their actions, then a timer would be highly recommended, but if it's turn-based, as in a team waits for another team to do their action before starting on their own action, then a turn-limit would make more sense than a time limit. Finally, there's always at least one referee or someone who monitors the sport to make sure no one breaks the rules. The more referees, the better, so they watch at different perspectives. The "action" part of the sport is anything you want it to be as long as it has a restricting rule. If it doesn't have at least one rule, it's not a sport anymore. Want people to fight in a sport? You gotta restrict them in some way, like you can't bring a weapon to the fight. Want people to kick a ball into the other team's hoop? You should probably restrict where they start so they don't kick it right in front of either hoop. Hope this helps!

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.