Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-28-2016, 05:54 AM View Post #1 (Link) Is it safe to share your unpublished story online?
bymadichanning (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I'm looking for a writing/critiquing buddy to read my book, and give me their opinions; however, I'm too afraid to let anyone online read my work because I'm terrified they'll steal it.

Does anyone have any advice or maybe resources?

Thank you.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 AM View Post #2 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
First, please post in the correct category. Guide and Quick Tips is meant for posts that instruct or give advice to others. Since you're asking for help, this would be better off in either Literary Discussion or The Common Room.

Second, it is safe to share it here. This website is meant for showing each other our own literature for critiques. I honestly doubt anyone would steal stories currently in the making since it's quite a risk to publish someone's raw story. If you meant stealing ideas instead of plagiarizing, it's up to the author to make the idea work in the first place, so even if two authors have the exact idea, they'll flesh it out differently, and that will be the deciding factor for success.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM View Post #3 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Thread moved to Writing Q&A.

Yes, this site is meant for sharing writing. If you post in the Members-Only section, only members can find your work. I don't believe we've ever had a problem with stealing work. However, the best way for you to allay your fears is to hang around and make friends with the people here. You'd probably show your best friend at home your story and not worry they'd steal it; you'll find similar friends here.

Last edited by lalodragon; 07-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:21 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
I often hear about fear of stealing of writings, and I don't see the point of this act. Say, I steal a story, well, what am I supposed to do next? Publish under my own name or under alias? Sooner or later I will be exposed and prosecuted for plagiarism. That would be the end of my writing career. Nobody in future would be prone to believe in authenticity of my own writings.
As to the stealing of ideas, OMG, writing is not about ideas, writing is about how one can make ideas riveting, exciting and lovable for public not even suspecting that author meant any idea at all.

If you don't mind me lecturing, Folks
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 07-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Pretty much what everyone else has said, I agree with. Plagiarism is a really rare issue on this site, and writing sites in general. I've only actually seen it happen three or four times ever, on all of the writing sites I'm on combined, and I think it's always been poetry or art. The art world of the internet definitely has a much bigger problem with it.

Some of my work was plagiarised here a while ago, but I found out a day later and it was dealt with and removed quickly. It hurt emotionally because it was a friend, but it wasn't like the person had sold it or reproduced it a million times all over the internet and there was no way to clean up or anything. It was a small issue, easily sorted, no lasting damage, move on.

Really, unless someone is publishing your work and making money from it, it's not really a big problem. Plagiarism detectors in schools and universities are great these days (even self-plagiarism is a thing!), and plagiarists always get noticed eventually. Readers are smart people.

Posting your work here, or anywhere with an uneditable timestamp, though, is also a sort of a safeguard for you-- it proves you posted it first, and that you are the owner of that work. If you discover you've been plagiarised, it can be your proof. For fiction, I think it's fair to say that it's a very low risk, especially here. We get asked questions like this often, so I think it's common for writers to fear this and respect others' work. Plagiarists aren't very likely to come to a writing site aimed at teenagers to steal work anyway. You're young, your writing will have lots of flaws and issues, it won't be finished or posted in full, and unless you're the next J.K. Rowling, you're probably not going to be an attractive fish in the pond of literature.

(As a side note, I can't remember who or when, but someone told me that it's never a good idea to have more than 10% of a novel online at once. I've always gone along with that, personally, and request my work is taken down from sites I post on after a couple weeks or so, even though I'm not worried about my fiction anyway. It's just good to feel in control of my work and know where it is, and if that makes you feel more comfortable too, you are very welcome to request staff take work down for you here, too. )
Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM View Post #6 (Link)
bymadichanning (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by GeonamicWarrior View Post
First, please post in the correct category. Guide and Quick Tips is meant for posts that instruct or give advice to others. Since you're asking for help, this would be better off in either Literary Discussion or The Common Room.

Second, it is safe to share it here. This website is meant for showing each other our own literature for critiques. I honestly doubt anyone would steal stories currently in the making since it's quite a risk to publish someone's raw story. If you meant stealing ideas instead of plagiarizing, it's up to the author to make the idea work in the first place, so even if two authors have the exact idea, they'll flesh it out differently, and that will be the deciding factor for success.
My apologies then. I had joined this site literally a half hour before I posted that.